Voyage (Part 1)

Turn any page of any country's history and there will always be some mention about an international matrimony taking place. The first international marriage recorded in ancient Indian history is that of the founder of India's first mightiest, Mauryan empire, Chandragupta Maurya and his Greek queen Helena. She was his second wife and was the daughter of Selecus Nicator. Meanwhile, Chandragupta Maurya's first wife, Durdhara, died while giving birth to their son, Bindusara. These events of after 300 BCE are the proofs of the ancient world's connection among the countries.

With these types of marriages follows a tradition of culture exchange. One such example can be taken from the case of Chandragupta and Helena. As in pre-Mauryan India, the pillars were made to give support to a particular monumental structure i.e. the reason behind building pillars was to prepare a support system for monuments.

The free standing pillars were a part of Greek culture. They were introduced in India only after the alliance that happened between Helena and Chandragupta. They soon became an important part of Indian art and are still found in many parts of the country, say for example- Prayag Prashasti located at Prayagraj, Mehrauli iron pillar located at New Delhi, the capital of India, etc.

And the finest example had to be the national emblem of India.

The Ashokan pillar of Sarnath is also an example of free standing pillar, build by Ashoka the great, grandson of Chandragupta Maurya

(National emblem in Parliament building, 2022)

Not only this but many different art schools were also formed in ancient India.

So many changes occurred in a very diverse country that also before common era, and can be seen still in practice. The same story happened in Korea when the iron king of Gaya tied knot with the princess of Kosala.

But what were those changes and how it happened? Are they still functioning in present day Korea?

Those were the questions that had started haunting her. That certain Indian archaeologist was on her own voyage and had already decided whom she would tag along and she was sure that he would never reject any of her request.