Carlos De Vil

Carlos Oscar De Vil was the main tritagonist in the Descendants franchise. He was the son of Cruella De Vil. Raised to believe that dogs are vicious animals, Carlos used to have an irrational fear of canines. Everything changed when Carlos arrived in Auradon and met a real dog, Dude, and the two soon became inseparable.

Carlos was portrayed by late Cameron Boyce.

Personality

Carlos was one of the nicer VKs and was rarely seen doing anything bad. Having been treated as a slave for a long time, he was obedient and disliked the idea of going against authority. He tended to follow what his mother told him to and what his friends did. His mother claimed he was a follower rather than a leader, and Carlos longed to prove her wrong.

Being younger and physically weaker than the rest of his class, Carlos was often a target of bullies. Despite being looked down by the majority, Carlos had shown to be a lot smarter than them. He was a true tech prodigy, having had worked feverishly on a project that would connect the Isle of the Lost to the outside world.

Although he inherited his mother's love of fashion (especially if it's in black-and-white), he didn't inherit Cruella's love of dogs ― on the contrary, Carlos was deathly afraid of dogs. Cruella raised Carlos into thinking that dogs are killers, as well as vicious, rabid pack animals. As a result, Carlos had an extreme fear of canines, practically allowing them to chase him up a tree. Carlos realized that dogs can be gentle and lovable when Ben introduced him to Dude the campus mutt; the two then developed an unbreakable bond.

Carlos cared about his friends deeply and saw them as his older siblings. Evie was the first person that he ever considered as a friend. The two grew closer after Carlos rescued Evie from the trap that Mal set up. In Descendants 2, Carlos noticed that something was troubling Mal and requested the rest of his friends to sit down and have a talk, even though he didn't know how to start a "girl talk." He was extremely supportive of all his friends, and even called them his family.

One of Carlos's greatest attributes was his character. He was extremely loyal, willing to follow his friends (family) wherever they go. He was honest, admitted when he felt down, very clever, witty, and asked for advice when he needed it. He kept the team together, and tried his best to be helpful to the others. Carlos was fun-loving, and held good clothing styles. And as most would say, very good-looking.

Physical Appearance

Carlos was a male teen of a pale complexion with freckles all over his skin. Following his mother's black and white pattern, Carlos had white hair with black roots. His style mainly consisted of colors black, white and red. Like the majority of the inhabitants of the Isle of the Lost, the fabric of his clothes were, or at least resembled leather. He often wore shorts accompanied with a pair of dark red boots.

In Descendants , Carlos had a black shirt with streaks of white. Outside, he wore jacket of long red sleeves, the right side was white while the left side was black, the collar was made of fake fur and on the back it had his own crest of crossed bones. His shorts repeated the same black and white pattern as his jacket. For accessories, Carlos had on his right hip a fake fur that resembled a black tail with white tip. He also wore a pair of red fingerless gloves.

Descendants

In the film Descendants, Cruella forces Carlos to help touch up her roots, fluff up her fur, and scrape the bunions from her feet. This makes Carlos consider that heading to Auradon wouldn't be so bad, but Cruella uses his fear of canines as a way to control him. While in the limo headed to Auradon, Carlos takes a liking to chocolate. When they first meet Doug, he seems to have trouble remembering the names of the Seven Dwarfs, though Carlos seems to know the names of each and reminds Doug of Sneezy. He is the most tech-savvy, as he seems to take a liking to video games and is able to use a computer to locate the museum where the Fairy Godmother's wand is. When Jay causes the alarm to sound, Carlos hears the phone and picks it up; he manages to disable the alarm and make them think it was a system error.

The Fairy Godmother assigns Carlos and Jay to sports. While Carlos doesn't seem to do well, Ben offers to help him with this. As he practices sprinting, Carlos gets chased by the campus mutt, Dude. Seeing that Dude isn't vicious, Carlos starts to take a liking to canines, and takes Dude everywhere he goes in the film. During the big game between Sherwood, Jay insists that Carlos play with him, and with his help, the team wins the game.

When Cruella sees Dude and calls him an "earmuff," Carlos defends Dude; this is most likely the first time that Carlos has stood up to his mother. He then "burns" her by telling her to "give it a rest" with talking to a toy dog head. In one plan, it is Carlos' job to get into the limo and find the remote that activates the barrier around the Isle of the Lost. At the coronation, when Mal makes a speech on choosing to be good, Carlos is cautious at first, as he is nervous of the anger of their parents. But after being assured, he chooses to be good too. He is last seen dancing with Jane during the coronation party.

Abilities

He had the ability to drive. Unlike a few, Carlos knew how to drive the limo, and was able to travel from Auradon to the Isle. Carlos himself told the others that he learned how to drive so he could drive his mother around. Unfortunately, he didn't have a license.

He knew how to "speak" dog. In Wicked World, Carlos hinted he was able to speak dog.

Carlos had the potential to create spells, as well as cast them, like Evie and Mal. However, it seemed like Carlos avoided using any form of magic, except for the truth gummy. He didn't seem to like using power, and tended to stick to the internet and online world.

Weaknesses

He doesn't always stand up for himself. As in the movie Descendants, Carlos seems to have trouble standing up for himself. When his mother video chats him, he stands up for Dude and surprises his mother in the process. 

He is physically weaker and younger than the rest.

His self-confidence is very low, due to his mother. Cruella constantly tells him that he is useless in everything except chores. She constantly works him like a dog.