Mal Bertha

Queen Maleficent "Mal" Bertha is the main protagonist of the Descendants franchise. The wife of King Ben, and the Queen of the United States of Auradon and the Isle of The Lost.

Queen Mal is portrayed by Dove Cameron.

Descendants 3

Mal is first seen with Evie, Jay, and Carlos as they begin their mission on bringing more VK's over from the Isle on VK Day. They've chosen Dizzy, along with the twin sons of Mr. Smee, Squeaky Smee and Squirmy Smee, and Celia Facilier. A week later, before the VK's and Ben headed over to retrieve the recruits, Ben proposes to Mal in front of Auradon Prep and she happily accepts. She is congratulated by her friends, Fairy Godmother and Ben's parents, who already planned an engagement party the following week. Mal runs into Audrey, who is still upset that Ben chose Mal over her.

As they are leaving the Isle with the new VKs, Hades tries to escape as the barrier is closing. Mal turns into a dragon and battles him, but with his ember, he starts to drain Mal of her magic before being forced back inside. Back at the castle, Mal, Ben, Beast, Belle, and Fairy Godmother discuss what to do regarding the barrier, with Uma still on the loose and Hades' escape attempt in mind. Surprisingly, it is Mal who proposes for the barrier to be permanently closed for the safety of Auradon. It pains her so, but as the future Queen, she must make the hard decisions, even if it means her friends and the new VKs cannot return and effectively ending the VK Program. Despite Ben's protest, Mal reminds him of their duty as royals and that they would be unable to forgive themselves if something happened and the people were hurt. Despite it being her proposal, she does not tell that to Evie.

While preparing for Jane's birthday party, Mal is confronted by Audrey, who had stolen Maleficent's staff and had turned evil. After trying to reason with her, Audrey turns Mal into a hag. By the time the others arrive, Audrey is gone and Mal is left alone. With the only thing capable of break a curse from Maleficent's Staff being Hades' Ember, Mal and crew ride to the Isle, where the barrier restore's Mal's youth. After visiting Dr. Facilier's Arcade, Mal and Celia venture into Hades Lair, where Mal reveals to Celia that Hades is her absentee father, having left when Mal was baby after he and Maleficent divorced. This is something that only Evie knew. Hades gives Mal the ember, but warns her that as she is only half Hades that it will not do everything for her and to not allow it to get wet

While leaving the Isle, the VKs are once again met with Uma, Harry, and Gil, forming an uneasy alliance with them to defeat Audrey, under the condition that all VKs will be released from the Isle, a promise Mal makes despite her proposal to close the barrier that is still unknown to the others. Uma and Mal begin to bond until they meet up with Ben, who along with Mal reveals Mal's proposal to everyone. Uma and Harry leave in disappointment and anger as Celia tosses Hades' Ember into a bird fountain. Evie is the most heartbroken that Mal lied and as Mal tearfully apologizes, Ben, Evie, Carlos, and Jay are turned to stone by Audrey. Mal continues to reflect on her actions and new life in Auradon before finding Audrey with a captured Celia. Mal turns into a dragon to fight her, but is no match for Audrey with Maleficent's Staff until Uma returns to give Mal a boost. Using her fire breathe, Mal manages to reignite the Ember and defeats Audrey, who falls under a deep sleep.

Because Mal cannot use the Ember to revive Audrey, she asks for Hades to be brought in to do so, revealing to Ben, Carlos, Jay, Uma, and Harry that he is the only one that can undo the spell. Hades is brought to the palace in chains and does help revive Audrey, who later expressed remorse for her actions. Mal also apologizes to her. Uma, Harry, and Celia decide to return to the Isle, as they would prefer to be there.

The next day, Mal makes a public announcement that she cannot just rule Auradon and must also rule the Isle. She reveals that Uma and Hades both played a crucial role in stopping and subsequently reviving Audrey. She then declares that the barrier will be brought down. She does so with her friends and Fairy Godmother's wand. As the AKs and VKs celebrate their worlds coming together, Hades congratulates Mal and lets Ben know he'll be keeping an eye on his future son-in-law. The film ends with Mal, Evie, Jay, and Carlos racing back to the Isle to see their parents.

Descendants: The Royal Wedding

When Jay gives a Mal a charm bracelet with charms representing each of the four VK's as a gift Mal says "I wish Carlos could've been here" and her friends replying "we all do".

Descendants: Wicked World

She is also the protagonist of Descendants: Wicked World.

Mal returns in the animated short series Descendants: Wicked World, voiced by Dove Cameron who also portrayed her in the live-action film.

In the series, Mal continues to attend Auradon Prep and tries her best to be a good person. However, her good intentions often backfire, resulting in a lot of people sending online posts about her mishaps, promoting everyone to think she's still up to her old ways. 

In addition, she's shown to be somewhat more incompetent (or rather clumsy) with her magic.

After the Neon Lights Ball, the VKs are told that the next big event is the Jewel-bilee, where they will be receiving their Birthright Jewels as a reward for their good behavior. However, when Mal learns that her mother hid her jewel somewhere on the Isle, she goes with Freddie to find it in Dr. Facilier's Shop. 

While they don't find it, Freddie gives Mal a necklace that actually contains the jewel and to make matters worse, the jewel was cursed, making Mal act eviler and pull mean pranks on everyone back in Auradon. The jewel also makes mal sleep walk to a Cliffe where she almost dies. She also helped Zevon, son of Yzma, obtain Jafar's Staff so that he can take over Auradon.

Powers & Abilities

Fairy Magic: Like her mother, Mal is able to manipulate fairy magic at her will, which usually manifests a green energy glowing in her eyes.

Dragon Transformation: Mal is able to transform herself into a giant dragon, like her mother Maleficent. She transforms into a dragon in Descendants 2 and Descendants 3.

Aside from her magical powers, Mal also have the following abilities:

Demigod Powers: Because her father is Hades, this would make Mal a demigod. However, it is currently unknown what goddess powers she possesses. Mal can use Hades's ember, but not to the same level as her godly father.

In Under The Sea: A Descendants Story, her wardrobe is now a purple shirt with multiple golden studs. She also wears a black vest, her sleeves are purple, and one on completely studded. She also wears black and purple pants with purple studded boots. She still has her original hair, belts and boots. Also, in Descendants 3, her hair is light purple and is reflected with other shades and appears to be blue. She wears a midnight blue vest, as well as a purple shirt under it, with her emblem. She also sports a pair of blue and purple leather pants. She now wears purple wedge high-tops with painted blue flames, as are her purple fingerless gloves.