Mal Bertha

Maleficent "Mal" Bertha is the main protagonist of the Descendants franchise. She is the daughter of Maleficent and Hades.

Mal is portrayed by Dove Cameron.

Personality

Mal is a sneaky, smart, and sometimes ruthless girl who is a natural-born leader and skilled at art, especially spray paint art. Though she is compassionate, she is also vengeful and does not forgive others easily. She has a knack for casting spells, but only if needed.

In the first film, as the daughter of Maleficent, she wants to be like her mother: pure evil. Yet whenever she tries to prove herself to her mother, she often disappoints her instead. She enjoys coming up with wicked schemes and wreaking havoc and is the most feared in the Isle Of The Lost because of her reputation. She isn't fond of beautiful surroundings or anything pink, calling them gross, but she does sometimes wonder about how life would be off the island. Despite this, she is not necessarily immoral; she is just misguided. Her "mean girl" facade is mostly an act, likely because she does not want to be seen as weak in her mother's eyes; being evil is the only way she is respected by Maleficent, who never cared about Mal. Mal is extremely goal-oriented, driven by her desires to please her mother. This causes Mal to often prioritize her objective over the feelings of others, especially those of whom she manipulates in order to achieve her goals. Despite this, Mal's goals are not her own, but her mother's, and this causes Mal to become morally conflicted and increasingly reluctant to carry out her objective. Ben is the only person who sees through Mal's act (including herself), and saw her for who she was - a good person.

As the series progresses, Mal lets go of much of her fears and goals, becoming in tune with her true self; thus she abandons the hollow life of evil, for a life of being good. With friendship and love, Mal ended filling the hole in her heart that could not be satisfied through what her mother had taught her.

Physical Appearance

Mal is described as a girl with dark purple hair with highlights of lighter shades of purple that is curly and reaches a little bit over her shoulders. She has green eyes with "flecks of gold" and is of medium height (5'2"). She mostly wears purple and shades of green and pink during the movie. She wears a artfully constructed purple biker jacket with a dash of pink on one sleeve and green on the other, a pair of purple jeans, and battered combat boots. She also wears black fingerless gloves. At Ben's coronation, she wears a lavender dress that is short on the front but long and regal looking on the back. Mal had her hair tied up in a bun.

Descendants

Mal is first seen spray painting a brick city wall. Then, she and her friends wreak havoc across an area of the Isle of the Lost ("Rotten to the Core"). Mal loves being evil and wreaking havoc on innocent people. Causing trouble is where she truly feels at home. After taking a lollipop from a toddler, her mother Maleficent comes. When Mal hears that she and her friends, Evie, Carlos, and Jay, will be going to Auradon Prep, by the order of Prince Ben, she is surprised, because she knows that no one can leave the Isle of the Lost. Maleficent convinces her that she needs her to go and steal the wand from the Fairy Godmother. Mal agrees, and she and her friends take the limo to go to Auradon. When she and her friends arrive, everyone in Auradon Prep greets them. They are officially welcomed by the Fairy Godmother, Prince Ben, and Princess Audrey. Audrey, Ben's girlfriend and the daughter of Aurora, is suspicious and unwelcoming of the VKs. The VKs get a tour of the school.

Mal and Evie become roommates in a room Mal finds "gross," but Evie actually loves. At night, the two girls enter Jay and Carlos' dorm room while Jay and Carlos were playing video games and enjoying it, they almost forgot what they were here for until Mal tells them that it is their one chance to prove themselves to their parents that they are evil.