Longing For A Family

Alison - 10 days earlier, at the diner

"Alison, this place is more than clean. Stop stalling inside the break room!!! There are many things to do in the diner. For starters, you can fold the paper napkins and clean the coffee machine next."

I looked at my unfriendly boss. The man hated me and did not hide it from anyone. He sure would not keep me for much longer at the diner.

"Yes. I'll be right outside, Sir." I put my cleaning supplies back in the closet, washed my hands and returned outside to start the assigned tasks.

The diner was quiet, and I was unsure why he was stressing about folding napkins. We had enough done for the rest of the week. The door shimmed in, but I stayed put. The other girl could attend to a customer while I folded the napkins.

"Hey, there." A male voice called from the entrance. I raised my head and saw the most handsome man I had ever seen.

He looked like someone straight out of a film. Strong, tall, blonde, impeccably dressed, and wore the most perfect smile. Without a doubt, that smile could light up a room. That man sure was not as grumpy as my boss.

I got up after he said the little boy needed to use the bathroom. He looked into my eyes and paused. I sensed his resistance to give me the baby, but the gorgeous little one was sleeping.

Besides, I grew up in an orphanage and helped look after countless babies. I stayed quiet and did not tell the handsome man that my experience with babies came from there. I did not want him to think my parents had abandoned me. Of course, they did, but he did not need to know that I was an unwanted baby, and they left me outside an orphanage without even a note.

The topic caused me great pain since I was a child. I never knew what it meant to have a family since I never had one. Shame consumed me because of my past, and I desperately desired a family of my own. So far, the closest I got to a family was on my Pinterest boards.

The baby woke up while I thought about my miserable life, and his smile went straight into my heart. He was perfect! The little one waved his arms and legs towards me, wanting to escape his carrier. I would not waste this opportunity, and I grabbed him tight against my chest. The fresh baby scent instantly made my sad life better.

"Hello, little one. You are gorgeous, and your big ocean-blue eyes are the most beautiful I have ever seen." I whispered to him.

The handsome man returned with the smiley little boy, and I wondered if he would allow me to change the baby's diaper before leaving. I was not 100% sure he needed it changed, but I wanted to hold him for as long as possible.

They all looked alike, and the man must be their father. The mother of the children must be one lucky lady. Can you imagine coming home from work to a home with a husband and adorable children waiting for you? Or spend the days looking after the children's needs and waiting for your husband to get home for dinner. It must be heaven! A heaven that, so far, I have never experienced.

I was on cloud nine when the handsome man spoke again, allowing me to change the baby. I felt even more fortunate when he trusted me to be left alone with the two adorable boys. Tommy and Jaime were their names. Tommy would be three soon and was an intelligent boy. Not even once did he stop talking, filling the room with adorable laughter and stories. He told me everything he would do at their granny's house later.

When it was time for them to leave, I did not want to let the baby sleeping in my arms go. I did not want them to leave me there alone in that sad place until it was time for me to return to an even more miserable place to sleep.

A place I would have no one to talk to like I had at that moment sitting in that cheap diner watching them eating pancakes.

***