Small-Minded People

Jake

The whole night, Alison slept on top of me. She did not stir; she did not move. Alison was like a breathing statue attached to my bare chest.

I counted until 10 to avoid pushing her away when I heard Jamie was awake. He never cried, but he would soon if I did not give him attention.

Instead, I rubbed her back gently, pretending I was at least a considerable "husband". Alison lifted her head, confused, her hands never leaving my body. "Hey. I need to get to Jamie. He's awake." My voice was low. It was easier to control my frustration like that.

She made a move to get up and said softly. "No, I will go."

I pushed her slowly, moving her to her side. "No, Alison. You won't know where everything is in this house. Stay here and sleep. We had gone to bed late."

She smiled and nodded. "OK, thanks, honey."

I walked to the boys' bedroom, with the word honey that came out of her mouth ringing in my ears. I will need to make an excuse for us not staying for breakfast. If Father hears it, he will not keep his mouth shut.

It will be family only at the breakfast table. He will not tolerate this charade for two days straight.

After feeding, changing, and putting Jamie down again, it was still early, and I could sleep a little longer. As soon as my body hit the mattress, Alison returned to her earlier position on my chest. She did not seem to be completely awake; it was more out of instinct. Will cuddling be our new thing now?

When we were properly awake, the maid came with a change of clothes for Alison that Mum had sent and told us that Mrs Stewart was waiting in the Sunny room.

I was ready with my excuse when we met Mum outside the room. "Jamie is fed. We should head out now, Mum. Tommy can wait a little longer for his breakfast." I softly squeezed his hand. "Isn't that right, buddy?"

Mum waved her hand, dismissing what I said, and put a hand on Alison's arm, which was again holding little Jamie. "Nonsense, darling. Everything is already prepared, so let's not cause Alison any trouble. She must be tired from last night."

She looked into my eyes and slightly nodded. "Your father has left already. You will make me company."

Now, we could stay if the angry man was not there. I nodded back, and Tommy and Alison seemed pleased to stay longer at the Manor. Alison was taken by my mother as much as she was by her.

I helped Alison and the boys to their chairs and asked after taking my seat. "Where did Dad go this morning?"

Mum did not look into my eyes. "Golfing with Karl and the boys."

I put a toy on the highchair tray to entertain Jamie and asked. "Did Olly go?"

Again, she did not look into my eyes. "Yes."

"And Father didn't think to call for me?" Was Dad so upset with me that he only took Olly with him and not me?

Still not looking at me, pretending to fix something on Tommy's clothes, she answered me. "They were going to talk business, Jake. Lawyer stuff." Mum tried to make up an excuse. She was a terrible liar. Alison was unaware that Nora had lied to her since day one because she did not know Mum well.

No! That was not a golfing business meeting with Matt's father and brothers. Father just did not want to spend the whole day with me around people. People whom he would have to pretend everything was great.

I shrugged it off. "Right! I have to go to the office, anyway."

"Why? Can't you stay and enjoy the day?" Alison asked, smiling at the butler who entered the breakfast room with the coffee.