Different From Before

Jake

Jake

I never expected the incident from last October to still be ongoing today, on Valentine's Day.

Alison was doing much better mentally. The old, annoying Alison was gone, replaced by a much more enjoyable person to be around.

I could not tell if it was the fear of being away from us that healed her or if Doctor White's intense therapy sessions had the effect. Nevertheless, things inside the house were manageable.

But even though that was happening, the feeling of wanting something else was still inside me. I slept with Alison more out of obligation to have her needy side under control and give her attention than because I desired her.

Was it because Gracie was consistent in my thoughts, or was I indifferent to Alison?

I saw her more as a roommate I had to give and take pleasure in occasionally than someone who could remain in my life for long.

Around 4 p.m., I left the office and called Mum to take the kids for the night. With the heavy snow in the afternoon, I did not make any plans to take Alison out to dinner to celebrate Valentine's Day. But at least I will pick up a fancy meal on my way back and make love to her without the kids in the house.

So far, so good, but despite my efforts, I could not bring myself to the store and buy her anything. Alison was not my Valentine! Instead, I asked Jessica to buy something meaningful, but when she returned from shopping, she had gone way overboard with what I had in mind.

Jessica bought a gold necklace with the letters J, T, and J on display carved in diamonds. They represent the men in her life, Jessica's words, not mine. That had been far too meaningful for my taste.

***

Alison - A few hours earlier

"I'm glad that you called Ali. I've messaged you several times, and you never mentioned wanting to meet. My take was that you didn't like me," Savannah chirped as soon as I entered her red Mercedes.

I was doing everything to make Jake happy with me and take my mind off storming inside his office. Then I called Savannah as soon as I left the clinic, and fortunately, she was leaving the courthouse and did not have to get back to the office till the next day.

Doctor White advised me to stop making rash decisions since they were inappropriate behaviour. That was why I tried to make friends with Savannah, as my husband suggested. She could offer me different advice than the women at Riverside about my life.

"Sorry, Savannah. I was staying too much at Riverside. I only come to the city for therapy; before, it was less often. Now I'm coming more times and thought we could meet."

I looked at her, trying to see if I should trust her. Nora said not to talk much about Jake and our intimate life, but I needed someone's advice. I cannot rely only on Doctor White's. Would Savannah say something to Olly if I confided in her?