Halloween

Jake

Jake

Preparing myself for this confrontation would not be fun. I was not sure how things would go today. Yesterday, Olly called, telling me not to go to the ball. Even though Jessica had arranged for me to meet a few clients there, I stayed at Riverside. My father was furious after hearing about Alison, and we did not want him to make a scene there.

Everybody was waiting for me in Dad's study at the Stewart Manor. Dad was still red from anger, standing near the fireplace. Mum looked at peace, and Olly, oh boy! He looked like he wanted out of the room. It seems that the outburst began early, and he gathered everyone for a discussion in his study, which is his preferred location.

"Took you long enough to get here, Jacob." I looked at my father after he spoke and rubbed my forehead. I did not want to have one more conversation about Alison. "What? Were you so afraid that I would give you a reality check and kept me waiting since last night? I bet your brother warned you." He pointed at Olly, knowing my brother had called me.

I joined Mum and Olly on the sofa. "No, Father, I was allowing you to come down. But instead, you got even more upset because I didn't come last night. I could hear your screams from the driveway."

His eyes had anger. "Don't be smart with me, Jake. What is it that I hear you have a wife now and my grandchildren a mother?"

I looked at Olly and Mum, confused. "Haven't you told him Alison isn't my real wife?"

"Yes, Jake, a hundred times, actually. For him, there is no difference." Olly scratched his head, annoyed that Dad was not listening to anyone.

"Alison is sick because of the head trauma she suffered saving Tommy. Your wife didn't give me a choice. So, if you want to be angry at someone, be at her. I don't need you to give me any bullshit because I am the one sharing a house with her, Dad."

"I fail to understand how you brought a stray dog home, Jake. When you were four. A man saved you from drowning in the pool. Should I have divorced your mother and married him, too?" He gave me his lawyer's face like it was up for a debate.

Mum waved her hand, dismissing his comment. "William, don't be ridiculous. You are taking everything all out of proportion now. Alison is a good girl and excellent with the children."

"Well, my dear, if the girl is good, Jake can hire her as the children's nanny. What is happening here is preposterous." Dad clenched his hand, and the veins on his forehead appeared from anger. I was not sure how the man had not had a heart attack yet.

"Love is a choice, William. You choose to love someone. And if Jake chooses to love the girl, I am sure he will be pleased. Alison is great to the boys, to their home, and Jake. You will see it once you meet her." I moved my head to my mum. Her eyes shone when she talked about Alison, as she did about us. She loved Alison already.

Has this woman lost her sense of reality lately? I think Doctor While should check on her, too. "Mum, you are way over your head now, and Dad is right. We shouldn't have brought her home, but now that she's here, I will not accept anyone mistreating her—not even you, Father."