Like a Movie Villain

Jake

Everybody enjoyed the party, except Dad and me. Like me, the man tried his best to keep a calm face. The only thing that kept us together the whole day was Tommy's smiles. The little man was having a blast at his party, like he did on Halloween.

When I got to the bedroom, Alison was wide awake and waiting. "I'm sorry about the party, Jake," she said as soon as I entered from the sofa where she was sitting.

"It isn't sorry I want to hear, Alison." I took my watch off and set it on my bedside table. "I'm unsure what happens at your friends' houses, but here in my house, things are discussed beforehand. And if we were to discuss." I pointed outside, clenching my jaw. "This circus wouldn't have taken place."

Even though Tommy was thrilled, he did not need all that circus to feel like he did. Again, my family had to lie around too many people, and my job was to protect my kids.

Tommy befriended children who would probably be in school with him and would ask questions after I made Alison disappear. I met Matt at his age, and we were still best friends.

Alison kept looking at me with her small brown eyes, and I hated that I must always scold her and Mother. At this point, I felt like a villain in the movie.

She got up from the sofa and hugged me tight. "It won't happen again. I promise." Alison glanced up and blinked. "I am still figuring out everything, Jake. It wasn't my entire fault."

No, I will not let her blame me for her actions. Even if I do not tell her much about the life she thought we had before, we should discuss things. In her head, I was her husband and solo provider.

I pulled her away from me by the shoulders before she could kiss me again to make anything better. And to be frank, she did not appear remorseful about anything in the slightest.

"As I said, I don't want to hear excuses. I don't want it to repeat. And you can't blame me for your memories, Alison." I said firmly. She needs to start understanding things here.

I stopped for a minute to take a breath. Well, Alison's lack of memories was my fault. I shook my head. No, it was not! It was an accident.

I looked at her, narrowing my eyes. "I make decisions for my sons in this house. Not you, not Nora Stewart. Because I'm sure she helped you, knowing I wouldn't be pleased about it."

"It's our children, Jake." I heard her snapping on my way to the bathroom.

I turned around to face her and said through clenched teeth. "Excused me???"

She crossed her arms. "You said your children. They aren't only your children, Jake. You didn't make them alone."

Yes, I did not. But they would be better off if it was possible because a heartless woman gave birth to them.

I ran my hand through my hair for the thousandth time today. "I'm going to have a shower, Alison. Because I've had enough of this conversation."

Inside the running water, I screamed, unleashing all my frustration. Alison had done a few sessions of whatever treatment Doctor White was using. I know he said on the phone that nothing had improved, but how long would it take her to leave??? I would find great relief after my life stopped spiralling down this rabbit hole.

When I came to bed, I slept on my side, not allowing her to nest on my chest. After annoying me like that, I could not swallow the cuddle position.

After that, we got into a routine. I fed baby Jamie early in the morning, having alone time with him before heading to the office.

Once I got there, I concentrated on work as much as possible. Of course, I was still checking the cameras. I could not stop it entirely, but I was not as obsessed as before.