Part 3

"You must be Dr Shin Ryujin?" A large, manly figure said walking up to Ryujin in fluent English.
"Yes sir, I'm Ryujin, thank you for this invitation."
"It's no problem. You are aware that your patient will be my father correct?"
"Y-yes."
"Sorry, I forget to introduce myself. My name is Choi Siwon. I'm Lia's father."
"Sorry sir, who is Lia?"
"Did she not introduce herself to you!?" Mr Choi looked furiously at his daughter.
Ryujin quickly realized he meant Jisu.
"Ah! You're Lia. No she did sir, but she introduced herself as Jisu." Ryujin reassured the man.
"Whatever. My father is your patient, his name is Choi Yesung. This is my wife, Choi Sooyoung, you've met my daughter, and that is Kevin, Lia's boyfriend. Now that you know everyone, let Lia show you to your room."

Ryujin nodded after trying to absorb the abundance of names that was thrown at her. She picked up her luggage and followed Lia, who seemed a little tensed from earlier.

"Hey, you okay?" Ryujin asked as Lia kept looking down as she walked.
"Sorry, I'm fine. I just feel a little embarrassed about the way my father acted."
"Don't worry about it. It's totally fine." Ryujin tried to comfort her. Lia opened Ryujin's room and handed her the keys.
"I'll leave you here to rest because I know you've had a long flight."
"Thank you." Ryujin bowed.
"Just one thing.." Lia whispered, "sooner or later, you'll find that this family is rather dysfunctional, okay? Take care of yourself." She walked away.
Ryujin couldn't really reply to that so she just nodded in return. She was left for a few hours in her room to catch up on sleep and she informed her friends that she made it safe and sound. What Lia said kept ringing in her mind as she couldn't really understand what she was trying to say. So far, everything seemed normal, other than the father's quick temper, but don't all dads have that? Ryujin wasn't sure and decided to let time tell the truth.

It was about four in the afternoon and she decided it was finally time to meet her patient and get to work. She walked downstairs, hoping to find Lia somewhere but realized the house looked empty. Only then did she see an elderly woman sit on an armchair, drinking some tea in a white floral cup that seemed to be made of porcelain. Indeed, this family was rich. Ryujin questioned whether she had to use Korean or English.

"Excuse me ma'am?" Ryujin spoke in English as she approached the lady.
"Sorry dear?"
"Sorry! I started speaking in English. Hello ma'am, it's nice to meet you. My name is Shin Ryujin, I'm Mr Choi's doctor."
"Yes, I've heard of you! Nice to meet you too dear. I'm Jisu's grandmother. Yesung is currently taking his afternoon nap so he'll be here in about twenty minutes. Why not sit here in the meantime."

Ryujin nodded and sat in the chair next to her.

"Only me and Yesung are in the house right now because the rest have gone for work purposes."
"I see. Is it okay if I ask what kind of work the family does?"
"Yes dear. My son, Siwon, he owns a massive computer tech business and it's been very profitable over the last few years due to technologies sudden demand."
"Yes, that makes sense." Ryujin was clearly impressed. "Does Jisu work there too?"
"Yes, she does. I don't think she enjoys it very much but she has to work there."
"Ah, she doesn't have a choice?"
"Not really. Especially because after her and Kevin's marriage, they both will take over the business."
"Oh Kevin - he's Jisu's boyfriend right?"
"Yes. They are going to get engaged in two months."
"I see. It seems like a stressful life. To work under the pressure of your father's reputation, doesn't it?" Ryujin said with hints of empathy.
"I imagine it is. Jisu doesn't seem so happy with her life."
"Oh, she doesn't want to work there right?"
"Not only that dear, I don't think she wants to even marry Kevin." Lia's grandmother said upsettingly.
"Oh. Why not?" Ryujin asked, suddenly realizing that this may be why Lia said her family is dysfunctional.
"I'm not too sure. But you know, when someone is in love, you can see their spark. Jisu doesn't seem to have that spark. So it makes me wonder whether she even loves Kevin or not. You understand what I mean right?"
"Well, I don't know."
"Tell me dear, have you ever been in love?"
"No ma'am. I've never been in love."
"Does it feel lonely?"
"I have amazing friends, so I never think of that feeling. But sometimes I'm jealous of those in love. It seems to be the greatest feeling ever."
"It is really." Lia's grandmother said as she was struggling to get up to place her cup on the table.
"Let me help you!" Ryujin said as she immediately took the cup from her, ensuring she was in a comfortable position.
"Thank you dear. You're a very sweet young lady. I'm sure you will find a man who will love you very much."
"I hope so." Ryujin smiled, wondering if a day like that would ever come.