Part 6

It was around five in the morning when Ryujin was woken up by sudden shouting. It had already been one week since she entered the Choi estate and she found herself more confused and more intrigued by the family everyday. She kept thinking about Lia's comment on her 'dysfunctional' family, and everyday, it was proven to be more true. In the past one week, Ryujin grew more sorrow towards Lia, due to her unfortunate outcome. She knew how held back Lia was in life and all she wanted to do was keep her spirits high and support her throughout.

The shouting took her by surprise as she reluctantly got out of bed. The noise seemed to be coming from Lia's room.

"Kevin, why do you keep doing this!!?" Lia said as she groaned in pain.
"What the heck is your problem?" Kevin shouted back in an equally angered tone. However, he sounded drunk and intoxicated.
"Listen, I've had enough of this, okay? Can you just leave?"
"Nah baby girl, I can't leave you and your sexy body." Kevin slurred his words. He forced himself on Lia while she struggled to break away from his grip.
"Just leave me alone, fucking piece of shit." Lia couldn't break free, Kevin had tight support on her. He continued dominating her as he kissed her multiple times, throwing her onto the bed.
"You don't get it Lia. I'll never leave you alone. And I have your father wrapped around my finger too. He loves me way more than you. How pathetic huh? All you are to me is a toy. There are way more hotter girls than you, just be lucky I still give you chances." He said as roamed Lia's body, leaving her to respond in disgust.
"Please, I'm not asking for much. Just don't do this. I hate this. I hate this. I hate this." Lia shrieked and cried
"Trying to make me feel guilt? Think about me! I'm the one who's going to be stuck with a stupid wife! Ever think about me? You selfish brat."

To Ryujin's horror, everything just kept going and going and going, till it sounded like Lia was on the verge of throwing up.

"There's no more juice left in you huh." Kevin said as he stood up from the bed. "I'm going out now. You better not tell anyone else otherwise I'll make your life a living hell."
"You're already doing that." Lia cried in pain. She could barely stand up straight.

Kevin shut the door in anger, leaving Lia alone in the room. Ryujin watched the entire scene, distanced and hidden, her heart aching after what she just witnessed. It took Lia some time to get the strength to walk out, and when she did, she looked like a mess. There were red marks all around her face and neck, leading to her arms and then thighs. Lia suddenly caught a glimpse of Ryujin from the corner.

"Ryujin?"
"I'm- I'm so sorry Lia."
"Sorry for what? It's not like you did it?"
"Sorry that you had to go through that."
"This is nothing compared to what usually happens." Lia scoffed.
"Are you kidding me?"
"Wish I was."
"Lia, this is sexual abuse! Can't you report it?"
"Ryujin, thank you for your concern but my father has close connections with everyone. Even if he knew what was happening, you think he'd care? You really think anyone would care?" She started crying uncontrollably.
Ryujin couldn't say a word.
"And I've endured this long enough. I can endure it for the rest of my life."
Ryujin still didn't know what to say. She just let a few tears out. Luckily, there was no one else in the house at the moment as they were all away for a family outing, of course excluding Lia.

"You know the worst part?" Lia said.
"What?" Ryujin asked softly.
"I can never look at a man or be around a man anymore. Even at work, when a guy gets close to me, even if he has good intentions, I can't help but flinch and squeal. I know all men aren't the same, but there's this fear thats been instilled in me and I can't get rid of it."

"Lia.."
"Ryujin, my life is ruined. There's nothing left." Lia completely broke down and cried, falling onto the floor, drenching herself in tears.

"Lia, can I hug you?"

Lia looked up at Ryujin's request, very carefully nodding after thinking for a moment. She let Ryujin's arm wrap around her, feeling warmth for the first time in her life. For the first time, she felt like she was embraced with kindness, love, and mutual respect, something she had never felt before. Lia couldn't help but fling her arms around Ryujin and cry into her shoulders.

Ryujin gently rubbed her back, in a comforting manner which Lia appreciated.

"Ryujin.."
"Don't say a word. Catch your breathe. Give yourself some time. For enduring this much till now, thank you." Ryujin's soft tone and gentle intonation made Lia's heart hurt.
"What if I'll never be happy. I don't even know what it feels like."
"I will make sure you do. That's my promise."