Family (Part 1)

I get scared. I slowly sit up, afraid to make any sudden movements. I never seen Jake so angry. I don't know how to react. His eyes goes at me, I look down quickly, my ear pins against my head. I feel movement, I wait for him to yell or hit me. I have never been hit before but the look in his eyes made me worry this would be the first time. Instead, he puts his finger under my chin and makes me look at him. "Don't be afraid, ma yawne. I'm sorry for scaring you." Look at him through my eyelashes. "It's just... she didn't die peacefully like she should have. Lay down, I will tell you." I realize Jake is uncomfortable.

"No, it is okay. You are not comfortable. I will lay down, but you do not have to tell me." I say, I lay on his chest again. He chuckles, kissing my head. He sighs.

"Honestly, you should know. After all, this war might follow me here." I look at him as he keeps talking. "I don't want this war to follow me, but it might. I want a peaceful life with our family. But, when the sky people landed and there was fire. I lost sight of her, Tuk comes running out of the forest. She was crying, I look in her hands and there was Neytiri's arm band. My little Tuk kept saying how sorry she was. I knew then that my mate, like everything the fire touched died." Tears roll down my eyes. "The worse part is that Tuk, even though she is still a child, she closed off everyone except her family. That's why when she fell asleep on your lap, a stranger at the time, my heart leapt with joy. I was so happy that the woman I found intriguing found a way in my little Tuk's heart."

I jump off the hammock, leaving Jake's side and rushing to Tuk's side. I lifted her off her hammock, she wakes up and looks for danger. I cry, holding her. "What's wrong Ali?"

"Nothing. Let me hold you like this." I hear footsteps rushing in Tuk's pod to see me holding her. She never should have seen her mother die. "Thank you for letting me in your heart, Ma Tuktirey." She hugs me back. I turn to see all the children up watching me. "Za'u." They all come in and hug me. "You are all my children, but I never want to replace your mother. She needs to be remembered, every year we will do something for her. I promise." I look up out of Tuk's window and say. "Thank you, Neytiri. For bringing these children to this world." I cry out, the children cry too. I close my eyes, when I open them again, I see a woman smiling at me. No one seems to see her except me. "Tell me, what does your mother look like. If it does not hurt you." I look at them.

"Well, she was our color." Tuk says.

"She had braids and big beautiful eyes." Lo'ak says

"She had a smile that made everything okay." Nateyam says.

"She had one earring in her right ear." Kiri says. I look back up to find the woman is gone. The children discribed her exactly.

They look at the window. "What's wrong mama?" I look at Tuk surprised by her words.

"What did you call me?" I huff, breathless now.

"Mama. Do you..." I do not let her finish. I hug her tighter. Jake clears his throat. I look at him, he's smiling.

"I think Tuk needs to breath, ma yawne." I look at her and she laughs. We all lay there, Jake and I hold our children. They go back to sleep and Jake falls asleep. I look out the window. The woman appears again. I slowly get up, careful not to wake anyone up. I walk out the Marui to Tuk's window.

"Are you called Neytiri?" I ask in a low voice.

"Yes." She smiles. "Thank you for opening their hearts. Please, keep on taking care of them." I nod. "Jake is strict with the boys, Tuk does not open well with people, Kiri loves nature more than people. Lo'ak is in trouble a lot, and Nateyam holds the burden of being the oldest."

"I have seen all those. I hope you know I will never want to take your place. I simply want a place of my own. I do look at the children as mine." She smiles.

"Eywa, has brought you to Jake and our family for this reason. I know you are always going to protect this family. I have asked Eywa to bring someone like you to Ma Jake and Ma family. Also, when arguing with Jake or the children do not back down. You are strong." I chuckle, she smiles a gentle smile as she disappears.

I look out and see the eclipse is ending. I get up and go hunting. I bring back three big fishes. I go to Arya's Marui. I set the fish on a leaf plate by the pot. I go back to Jake's Marui and put it down. I go to get mushrooms. When I get back, I set some on Arya's plate and go cook fish and mushroom soup. I hear stirring as the pot cooks, I chuckle. I look around and find the band of Neytiri on a shelf. I graze my hand over it. "That's Neytiri's band Tuk had." I jump at Jake's voice and removed my hand quickly. "It's okay. You can touch it." I look at him. "I heard you talking outside our Marui last night. Who were you talking to?" I look down.

"You will not believe me or will get mad." I say, he lifts my chin.

"Please, tell me. Because, what I'm imagining is worse." I tilt my head.

"How? I was talking about you."

"Exactly." I giggle.

"As long as I remember I could control water and commuicate to it's creatures. All of them. Now, my ability has grown last night."

1023 words