slipping through my fingers

age: 16
setting: Chicago, Illinois (Era's tour)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight was the first night of the era's tour. My mom had let me skip school to fly out here and watch her. I was so excited. She hadn't done a tour for so long due to covid. She had been ecstatic about it for the past few months. Litterly, it was all she'd talk about.

I was with her in her dressing room, watching her makeup get done. We were talking about this show, and I kept begging her to tell me what the suprise songs would be.

"I can't tell you hun, it wouldn't be a surprise" She said in a shrug.

"Taylor, you're set to go on in 20 minutes!" A staff member called out.

"Okay y/n, you better get going into the tent or else you're gonna miss the opening." She said

"Okay mom, I love you. You're gonna do great out there!" I told her, giving her a hug before.

"Thank you sweetie, I love you too" She hug back.

I left the dressing room and went over the the tent.

"Y/n!" I heard someone call out.

I looked in there direction and smiled widely.

"Lana!" I squealed and ran to her, embracing in a hug.

"Oh my god, it's like i haven't seen you in ages!" I said. Lana was definitely one of my favourites of mom's friends. She's just so kind and down to earth.

We talked for a bit, and got interrupted a few times because fans would come up to us and give us friendship bracelets. I got eight! Litterly, all the fans were so sweet and nice.

A few songs in, and it was time for the suprise songs. Before this tour started, my mom and I came up with the set list together, so I got a lot of input on which songs she would sing. The majority of the songs on the set list were my favourite, so I was having a great time.

My mom's suprise songs were New Romantics and The Lakes, two of my personal favourites. She sung them so beautifully. I was so proud.

But just when we thought it was over, she stayed at the piano. In fact, she kept playing this tune. Everyone was confused. This didn't sound like one of her songs.

She started to speak into the mic.

"As some of you may know, my beautiful daughter is in the audience tonight." The crowd cheered and I blushed.

"Now, this song I'm going to play isn't one of mine, but it's one in which I resonate with dearly. My mom was always a big fan of ABBA, and used to tell me how much she related to this song when I was a teenager. But now, I can finally understand. Sometimes I don't realize how fast my daughter is growing up.I mean, she's almost finished high school, and is learning how to drive. It feels like only yesterday I was watching her take her first steps. It's almost as if she's slipping through my fingers. This one is for you Y/n"

The chords she was playing started to sound all too familiar. The whole arena went quiet whilst my mom sung, really taking in the moment.

"Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile
I watch her go with a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while

The feeling that I'm losing her forever
And without really entering her world
I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind?
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sleep in our eyes, her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake, I let precious time go by
Then when she's gone, there's that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt I can't deny

What happened to the wonderful adventures
The places I had planned for us to go
Well, some of that we did but most we didn't
And why? I just don't know

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Do I really see what's in her mind?
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the
time

Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time
Slipping through my fingers
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Schoolbag in hand, she leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye with an absent-minded smile"

She finished the song and looked directly at me with tearing eyes. I was sobbing hardcore. I was so lucky to have a mother who loved me this much.

I was in such a trance listening to my mom sing, that I didn't notice how everyone in the stadium was also sobbing. Even some of the security guards were wiping their eyes.

At the end of her show, I was allowed back stage again. I waited for my mom to come out, and as soon as she did, I ran up to her.

"Mom that was spectacular!" I said with a hug

"Aaah I'm so glad you enjoyed it" She replied. She was obviously really tired, and I don't blame her.

"I loved the extra suprise song by the way" I commented.

"I could tell, I say you crying" She said.

"I just know you were holding back a flood of tears mom"

"I'm not even going to deny it. I love you so much Y/n. I'm so proud to have you as my daughter. I love you to the moon and to saturn."

"Forever and always." I respond.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

hey guys! i this one was kinda short, i think the lyrics took up most of the word count tbh. ngl, i did tear up a bit writing this, only because this song gets me emotional lmao.

If you've requested something within the past few days and I haven't posted it her, just know that i will soon! my lifes just been really busy rn 🤪

anyway, i hope y'all enjoyed this! if you did, please vote for the chapter and save the book bc i'll be posting a hell of a lot more dw. If you have a request, then just message/dm me or comment it.

love you guys

<3333

UPDATED A/N:

OMG I PREDICTED THE LAKES AS A SURPRISE SONG