heartbreak

requested by stillswiftaf13

age: 15
setting: rhode island

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Y/n's heart felt heavy as she sat on a park bench, waiting for her boyfriend, Lewis, to arrive. They had planned to meet and spend the afternoon together, but she couldn't shake off the feeling of unease in the pit of her stomach. Deep down, she had a sinking feeling that something was about to change.

Moments later, Lewis appeared across the park, his usual smile replaced by a distant expression. Y/n's heart skipped a beat as he slowly walked towards her, her grip tightening on the strap of her bag.

"Hey, Y/n," Lewis greeted, his voice lacking its usual warmth.

"Hey," she replied, her voice trembling slightly. "Is everything okay, Lewis?"

Lewis took a deep breath, his eyes avoiding direct contact with hers. "No, Y/n, everything is not okay. I... I think we need to talk."

Y/n's heart dropped as a wave of anxiety washed over her. She knew this was the moment she had been dreading, but deep down, she had hoped it wouldn't come to this.

"Okay," Y/n managed to say, her voice barely above a whisper. They found a nearby empty bench and sat down, the heavy silence between them filling the air.

Lewis finally looked up, his eyes filled with sadness. "Y/n, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I can't deny it anymore. I think... I think we should break up."

Y/n's breath caught in her throat as her worst fears were confirmed. She felt her heart shatter into a million pieces, the pain almost unbearable.

"Why?" she managed to choke out, her voice trembling with a mix of confusion and hurt.

Lewis sighed, staring at the ground. "It's just... things between us have changed, Y/n. We've grown apart, and I just don't think we were meant to be. I've been feeling disconnected for a while, and I don't want to pretend anymore. It wouldn't be fair to either of us."

Pretend? He was pretending? Tears welled up in Y/N's eyes as she tried to process the words. Her mind raced with questions: How could things fall apart so quickly? What had gone wrong?

"But Lewis, w-we can work through this. We can find a way to reconnect," Y/N pleaded, desperate to salvage the relationship.

Lewis shook his head sadly. "I've tried, Y/n, but I can't force myself to feel something I don't. It's better for both of us if we let go. We both deserve someone who can make us truly happy. Plus, I've found someone else."

The pain in Y/N's chest intensified as she realized that Lewis had already made up his mind. The dream she had built with him, the plans they had made, were now crumbling around her.

"Who?" She asked, voice tinging with pain.

"Hazel, from our history class."

"Hazel?! We both hate her, you know what she does to all of her boyfriends! She fucks them and then she drops-"

"Why are you getting so offended by this? I'm not breaking up with you because of something you did-" Lewis started, but Y/n cut him off again.

"Why am I so offended?! Are you serious right now?" Y/n furrowed her eyebrows and stared at him, anger in her eyes.

"Yes, I'm serious-"

"I'm so offended because you're ditching me for a girl you casually talk shit about!"