Chapter 1 - Move in

I sat with my knees to my chest, against the radiator as the bodies were being pulled out. My body was still trembling from the shock. At that moment, I felt like I would never recover.  I felt a hand on my shoulder and I immediately hit it off.

"Please don't" I begged as my voice broke. I was about to cry but my emotions were dead. I didn't know how to react or if what I was seeing was actually the truth. I was wishing that it was just a bad dream, but things aren't always that easy!

"Ms Alexis Carter! We need to ask you a few questions." One of the officers spoke kindly to me.I stared at him, dead in the face, waiting for him to speak.

"What did you see when you came back home?" He asked.

"They were dead. On that floor. Covered in blood." I blurted out.

"And.. what did the house look like?"

"Blood." I said still staring at the floor in shock.

"The windows? The doors?" He asked kindly.

"They were all shut. Everything was shut."

"Ms Carter, I'm very sorry for your loss. Are there any family members you would like us to call for you?" He asked.

"They were the only people I had." I said as the tears made their way down my face. I couldn't take it anymore and eventually broke down and let the sobs take over me. The officer placed a hand on my shoulder and tried comforting me, but nothing worked.

I had no family. My grandparents hated me. They would never take me with them. All I had was my aunt, but she lived on the other side of the world, and I would probably be the biggest burden to her. I shook all these thoughts away and continued crying at the sight of the bloody apartment.

"We're going to get you help yeah?" The officer spoke gently. I nodded and eventually my head started spinning around the room. I was starting to feel dizzy and everything around me was starting to blur out. I had faint calls of my name, but eventually everything turned black!

--

I woke up to the sound of machines beeping in the background. I slowly crawled up and saw nobody in the room. The white walls and the silence was driving me mad. Then it all came back! Everything. The sight of my parents lying cold dead on the floor. My life falling apart right in front of my eyes. Yes. Everything was a complete disaster. I don't know who would have done that to them, as they were such kind and amazing people. Nobody had the motive to kill my parents, but obviously someone out there was as black as the night sky.

My thoughts were interrupted, when the door flung open. I watched as my parents' best friends, Mr and Mrs Green walked in.

"Hello sweetie!" Mrs Green smiled.

"Hey Mrs Green." I croaked. I barely could speak.

"Call me Jennifer, darling." She smiled. She was a genuinely lovely lady. She was like a second mum to me when my parents were on their little trips. Mr Green on the other hand was a very quite, yet nice person inside. He also reminded me of my own father, who was a very quite and humble person.

"Sweetie, your mum has listed us as your godparents." She spoke waiting for my reaction. I actually had mixed reactions. I was quite happy that my guardians were going to be Mr and Mrs Green, but it just kept reminding me that my mum and dad weren't around anymore.

I smiled a little and nodded at her, making her feel easy again. "Thank you!" I mumbled.

"It's our pleasure dear." She smiled as she leaned to kiss my cheek. I smiled at her as she pulled away. The doctor came in and spoke to Mrs Green about my health and such matters. I tried listening to their faint conversation as I just wanted to get discharged. The doctor smiled at me and then walked out.