Chapter 46

I looked at him in confusion. He looked down at my feet, and I finally understood. I hadn't even felt the pain since our conversation; everything else had been so much more important. But he was right. I didn't have to and certainly didn't want to look down on them. I knew that some of the stitches had opened up again. He picked me up before I could overthink the dried blood I must be covered with. Then he locked his car while I fumbled for the keys to Zack's Renault. He sat me down and gave me another deep kiss. Then he got in on the driver side and reversed.

"I can't believe you first walked home a mile and then drove all the way here." He shook his head in disbelief but gave me a warm smile. "How did you even find the exit?" I shrugged and squeezed the hand he was holding on my thigh. "Call it intuition." He raised his brow. "Or maybe you're just a great stalker." I knew he only did it to keep my mind off my pounding feet, but he didn't even have to. I was way over the moon, having him sit right next to me, holding my hand.

"It's called observing, Aiden. And don't get me started on you knowing my shoe size in the mall." I grinned. He tilted his head and gave in. "Alright, you win." Then he sighed and raised a brow, stroking the steering wheel with his free hand. "I owe Zack a huge apology." I nodded. "I still can't believe he knew." Aiden nodded. "Yeah, he does have his ways ..." Then he frowned again. "I nearly ripped his head off for not calling me earlier." I stroked his hand. "I'm pretty sure he doesn't mind. He did what he thought was best. He just wants you to be happy." He grabbed his phone out of his pocket. "Would you mind texting him?" My phone must be long dead by now, so I immediately took it.

I stared at the lockscreen for a moment before typing in a quick message. "You look just like him." He smiled a little. "I hope I do. He was the best man I've ever known." I stroked over the photo after hitting send. "You looked so happy; I know he must have been." He nodded. "He's the reason why I'm here. It broke my heart when we had to sell his shop, but we couldn't afford it after his death. But I promised him I wouldn't give up our dream." he quietly said, stroking my hand while staring out of the window. "You want to get it back, don't you?" I slowly asked. He nodded. "I got my mechanic licence before we left. Now I'm finishing the business side of it, so I'll have the tools to expand." My mouth fell open. "That is so cool."

He looked at me, surprised for a second but with a loving smile on his face when he saw mine. "It's going to be a hell lot of work until I get there." he continued. I shrugged my shoulders. "So what. Texas sounds pretty cool to me." He blinked when he understood the deeper meaning behind my words. We'd both graduate in less than a year. "No more games, Aiden." He didn't know how to answer, and I didn't mind. All of this would mean a lot of work. But then he pressed my hands against his lips before pulling up to the hospital's car park, and that little gesture meant more to me than any words ever could've done.

It was still dark when he carried me inside. I protested, but he had made it his mission to not let me walk a single more step. He held my hand through all of the reapplied stitches. It hurt so bad I bit his shoulder so I wouldn't cry. "Skip the hot stuff for afterwards." He mumbled to cheer me up. It helped a little, I turned red, and he quietly laughed. Dr. Stevens gave us a scolding look but kept quiet. He'd been as mad expected about me not following his orders, and now I had to deal with the consequences. "Now I never want to see you again after checking your scarring in a few weeks." he growled when he finally fixed the bandage. They had cleaned me up, and Aiden had been allowed to take a quick shower himself to get rid of the blood and car stains. He was out on the phone while I finished the last paperwork. I knew it was Zack. "I'll have to fix his car for free for the rest of my life." He mumbled but grinned. I knew they had made up.

Back home, he immediately carried me out of the car again. "I am allowed to walk a little." I commented but certainly didn't mind being pressed against his warm chest. "Not a chance." He simply gave back and unlocked the door. I knew the others were out or asleep by now. Zoe stayed over at Matt's, Josh was at Gilly's, and Zack had been nearly asleep when Aiden had called him. But even if he wasn't, I knew he wouldn't talk to us until the next morning; he was way too considerate. The house was dark, and Aiden carried me up the stairs. Then he stopped and hesitated. I shook my head. "Don't you dare leaving me in my own room now." I saw a hint of his smirky grin but also some hesitation. "Are you sure?" He asked me, sounding pretty serious now. I raised a brow. "Don't make me beg." That's all he needed. His crooked smile was back, and he made his way over to his bedroom.