𝑻𝒐 𝑰𝒏𝒔𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚

Knees trembling and unable to support the rest of her body, Dahlia sinks down next to Cove

Knees trembling and unable to support the rest of her body, Dahlia sinks down next to Cove. Her hands press down desperately on the wound, trying to keep pressure on it. She knows it's too late, she knows there's nothing to be done. But her mind just can't accept that Cove is dying in her arms.

"Cove-- Please, I--" Dahlia stutters out in between her violent sobs. "I can't-- I can't do it-- I don't--"

As Dahlia borders hyperventilation, Cove's quivering hand reaches up to her neck. She tugs the hem of her shirt down to reveal a necklace clasped around her throat. Her token. "Take... it." She orders weakly, making Dahlia yank the chain off to reveal the pendant. A golden dahlia flower now covered in Cove's blood.

"Cove--"

"Win." The blonde splutters, fighting her imminent death for as long as she can. "You... h-have to... For me."

Dahlia nods as the tears flow freely, whimpering, "I will... I promise."

Cove's hand feebily grasps onto Dahlia's, ignoring the red liquid coating her skin. Dahlia wraps both her hands around Cove's, squeezing three times to convey her love through more than just words. Cove delicately squeezes back with all the strength she can muster.

Once...

Twice...

Nothing. Dahlia's scream of anguish rattles the arena as her sister's hand droops lifelessly. Cove's vibrant eyes have been drained of all their spark, staring expressionlessly at the sky. Her face remains youthful, as it will stay for all eternity, doomed to never grow old. One boom of the cannon marks her death, shattering Dahlia's heart in the process. There's a hole in her chest that will forever be empty. An invisible handprint on her soul left by a friend. Her final promise hangs heavy in the air. Dahlia has to win now. There's no other option. Because now it's just her and Cove's killer.

"Did I forget to mention my skills with a spear?" Her killer speaks up, his voice smug, taunting and... familiar.

"Wyatt." Dahlia growls out, Cove's body still cradled in her arms. The boy stands confidently with pride, so different to the person Dahlia knew. He seemed unrecognisable to what he had portrayed himself to be. 

"It's amazing how far you can go when you feel like you're already dead." He comments with his arms spread out to bask in the glory. "I survived without you. I survived without Alaric. I have proved myself to everyone. To all those who doubted me."

"You may have survived without me," Dahlia's voice is fuming with a quiet anger. Venom is laced into every word she spits, like a coiled snake ready to strike. "But will you survive me?" The threat doesn't faze the boy too much, but it does wipe the smirk off his face. "One kill doesn't make you a Victor."

"Two kills will." Wyatt bites back aggressively, glowering at Dahlia.

"I won't let you." The girl protests, fingers dancing subtly towards Cove's belt where her final dagger was tucked away.