𝑨 𝑴𝒂𝒏 𝑶𝒇 𝑯𝒐𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒓

Bloodied rose clutched in her hand, Dahlia staggered into District Five's apartments in a stunned daze

Bloodied rose clutched in her hand, Dahlia staggered into District Five's apartments in a stunned daze. She had been operating on autopilot since leaving Snow's office, to the point where she wasn't actually sure how she'd managed to make it back. But she certainly wasn't expecting to find Alaric waiting for her in the living room with Mags and Finnick. She didn't even notice them at first, content to just collapse on her bed and overthink what the hell she'd just done. Until Finnick jumped up from his seat and nearly vaulted over the couch to reach her

"Lia." He coos softly, cupping her face with concerned eyes. "Are you alright, little flower?"

"Hmm?" Dahlia hums, her mind in a jumble until Finnick's thumbs smooth circles into her cheeks. "I'm fine, Finn."

Unconvinced by her answer, Finnick tucks a stray piece of hair behind her ear. "Where were you? I was worried."

Her heart flutters at the care and attention he shows her but she knew he'd worry even more if she told him where she'd been. Especially if she told him about the agreement they'd made. Shaking her head to dismiss his concerns, she sends him a weak smile. "Just taking a walk." Pulling away from his tender touch took all her strength, but she always found it difficult to lie to Finnick. "I'm not feeling very well, so I'm just gonna lie down."

"Alright." Finnick nods, deciding to give her space. "Let me know if you need anything."

A more genuine smile decorates her face this time as she brushes past. "I will."

Finnick turns to the others as Dahlia retreats to her room, barely noticing the rose slip from her fingers. Returning to the older Victors, he sinks down on the couch lost in thought.

"Maybe she caught a bug?" Alaric theorises, rubbing his bearded chin in contemplation.

Finnick shakes his head with furrowed brows, confidently stating, "She's lying." Alaric and Mags turn to the boy in surprise. He catches their bewildered stares and explains, "She can't stay still when she lies. Her feet were shuffling and she couldn't stop fiddling with something in her hands."

Realisation sinks in quickly and he's springing back on his feet like a jack-in-a-box. Following the direction Dahlia had left, his heart skips a beat at the item she had left behind. A flower so unlike the man iconic for wearing them. A white rose is supposed to represent purity, innocence and peace. Coriolanus Snow is corrupt, wicked and underhanded. But this rose was defiled by two drops of blood. His hands shake in anger, chest heaving with seething breaths. Whirling around, Finnick strides out of the room with a destination fixed in his mind. The two adults shout his name in astonishment but he pays them no mind.

•——————•°•✿•°•——————•

"What deal did you offer her?" Finnick asks loudly, bursting through the doors of Snow's office.

The man is reclined comfortably in his chair with his hands folded across his stomach. He doesn't seem at all shocked by Finnick's sudden appearance. In fact, it seems as though the President had been expecting the visit. "I'm sorry, Mr Odair. I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific. I'm a very busy man, you see."