𝑩𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝑭𝒐𝒓 𝑩𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒅

Dahlia confided in Finnick

Dahlia confided in Finnick. She never wanted to keep any secrets from her husband, so she told him everything. Snow, Coin, the bombs... all of it. He listened to every detail she spilled before coming to the same conclusion that she and Katniss had agreed on. Coin was not here to liberate Panem, she was here to take Snow's place. Only this time, she'd disguise dictatorship as a democracy.

"We can't trust Snow," Finnick had murmured quietly, arm wrapped around Dahlia's shoulders as they shared their thoughts. "But we can't trust Coin either."

Nodding her agreement, Dahlia added, "Just because the war is won, it doesn't mean the fight for peace is over."

"It seems it's only just begun." Finnick muttered bitterly, realising that they had all been pawns in Coin's quest for power. Now they had to rid Panem of yet another tyrant, this time without prompting another war. "So what are we going to do about--"

Their secretive discussion was interrupted by a knock on the door and Gale entering, making the Odairs quickly halt all conversation. The boy stood awkwardly in the door, nervous under the icy glares of the two Victors most devoted to Katniss. They knew what he had done and he knew he would find no forgiveness with them.

Clearing his throat in an attempt to diffuse the tension, Gale stood to attention like the soldier he was with folded arms and a wide stance. Still, Dahlia and Finnick regarded him coldly as he announced, "President Coin has asked for a gathering of all the remaining Victors."

Exchanging a glance with each other, the two came to a silent understanding. Coin was planning something, and calling for this meeting meant that the Victors were now forced to be involved. Once again they found themselves at the beck and call of another domineering leader. Would they ever be freed from their lifetime of servitude?

"Well, we'd better hurry then, Finn." Dahlia sighed sarcastically, shooting a dirty look at Gale as she pushed herself from the chair. She stuck her hand out for Finnick, who didn't hesitate to latch on as he also stood to his feet. Strolling past the Hawthorne boy with her eyes narrowed fiercely, she viciously spat out, "Before she drops another bomb on us."

Gruffly humming in agreement, Finnick made sure to knock his shoulder harshly into Gale's with enough force to send him stumbling a few steps backwards. They marched along the corridor away from him hand in hand with their heads held high, knowing that they could handle whatever came their way as long as they were together.

When they arrived at the meeting room, they found a large circular table with seats spaced out around it. All the other surviving Victors were already there except for Katniss, who Dahlia assumed Gale was going to fetch next. They had positioned the chairs far enough away so that none of the Victors were within touching distance of each other, an effort to keep them from communicating privately between themselves.

Coin stood proudly at the head of the table, smiling warmly at the two newcomers as they entered the room. That's when Dahlia knew that things were definitely going Coin's way. The woman was far too happy to see the pair that had consistently been a thorn in her side. And the tight-lipped smile did little to hide the smug expression twisting her features, especially from Dahlia's perceptive eyes.