𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑩𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝑫𝒂𝒉𝒍𝒊𝒂'𝒔 𝑹𝒆𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒏

Dahlia was not nervous for her skills evaluation

Dahlia was not nervous for her skills evaluation. Not like she'd been last time. She had a plan this time around and she knew exactly what needed to be done. So, sitting next to Alaric on those cold metal benches, there was no trace of fear in her expression and no hint of trepidation in her body. Just a stern look decorating her features and a hardened gleam in her eyes.

The only time her cold facade wavered was when Finnick beamed at her with an impish grin. It was so faint that barely anyone could notice a change in her features. But Finnick knew all of her quirks. The slight twitch in her lips gave it away to him that she was disguising a smile of her own. A faint softening of her harsh stare gives him a glimpse of the girl behind the mask. And the adoring look reserved only for him reminded the boy what he was fighting for.

"District Four. Finnick Odair. Report for individual assessment." An emotionless male voice echoes around the frigid room, calling for the next tribute to step up and perform.

Finnick refused to show the way his heart sank to his stomach at the announcement or the way his cocky expression fell for just a moment. But Dahlia could see through the act. The anxiety was eating away at his confidence and making him doubt himself. As he pushed himself to his feet, he subtly glanced over his shoulder at Dahlia who was sat on the bench behind him. The only reassurance she could give him under so many watchful eyes was an encouraging nod of the head. But for Finnick, simply knowing that she was rooting for him, was all the encouragement he needed. Confidence restored, he strides into the room with a bounce in his step.

"Stop fretting, Flower. He'll be fine." Alaric mumbles under his breath, careful not to draw the attention of the other tributes.

Not removing her gaze from the door Finnick had disappeared through, Dahlia whispers an impassive reply, "How'd you know I'm worried for him?"

Alaric scoffs lightly, turning to face the girl with a look of offended disbelief and muttering, "Because I know you, Flower. You can't hide things from me."

It wasn't long until Mags' name was called forth, then Alaric's and soon Dahlia found herself willing time to move faster. Patience was not a trait the girl was known for and she did not like waiting for things to happen. She yearned to find out how Finnick's evaluation had gone, what Mags had showcased, which station Alaric had focused on... But mostly she just wanted to get this shit over with.

"District Five. Dahlia Blossom. Report for individual assessment." The man drones on like a bland robot, but Dahlia has already hopped up from her seat.

"Fucking finally." She grumbles in annoyance, rolling her eyes as she storms past the other tributes. The only one to react to her small outburst was Johanna, who simply chuckled like a maniac. Katniss looked disgusted by the two girls, displaying her repulsion with pursed lips and a shake of her head.

As she enters the room, Dahlia passes Alaric who seems pleased with how his evaluation had gone. The man winks encouragingly at the girl before whispering, "Do your worst." Dahlia smirks and nods her compliance. The tributes are going to give the gamemakers absolute hell.