𝑩𝒆𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒚𝒂𝒍

Katniss carried the spool, Dahlia and Johanna flanking her on both sides with their weapons drawn

Katniss carried the spool, Dahlia and Johanna flanking her on both sides with their weapons drawn. As they clambered back down the rocky slope, the path became uneven and more difficult to navigate so Dahlia held onto Katniss' bow while Johanna offered her assistance from the front. No words were exchanged as they hopped across nimbly, Katniss quick to reclaim her bow.

"Come on." Johanna urges firmly, being the first one to break the tense silence. "I want to put as much distance between me and this beach as possible. Frying is not how I want to go."

No sooner had Johanna finished her mumbling than the wire seemed to snag on something further up the slope. Katniss tugs at the coil with furrowed eyebrows and mutters quietly to herself, "There's something..."

As Katniss yanks at the taut wire, her eyes glaring into the distance scrutinisingly, Dahlia discreetly nods to Johanna in preparation. No doubt this is the work of the Careers and their priority is to make sure Katniss is safe. Both women know what they need to do. Suddenly, the cable snaps and causes Katniss to stumble back slightly at the immediate loss of tension. The Girl on Fire prepares for a fight as Brutus begins to peek over the rocks, but Johanna whacks her over the head before she can loose an arrow.

The girl falls to the ground with a grunt, Dahlia by her side an instant while Johanna hands her a small blade. She swiftly pierces the skin of Katniss' arms, unbothered by the sound of slicing through flesh. But Katniss loudly cries out in pain as Dahlia removes the tracker from her arm. Johanna shushes her harshly, keeping her gaze on the Careers stalking closer while Dahlia spreads Katniss' blood along her neck.

"Stay down." Dahlia hisses to the girl, hoping the girl follows the instructions without complaint for once. Then Johanna launches an axe at Brutus and Enobaria with a ferocious yell, the Careers quick enough to avoid the blade which clatters against a rock.

Dahlia and Johanna scramble up the slope, drawing the Careers away from Katniss. Darting through the dense jungle, the two women try and lead their pursuers away from their allies and the lightning tree. They weave past trees and duck under plants, anything to entice the Careers in their direction. And it works, but neither girl knew if they would grow tired of the hunt.

"We should split up." Johanna suggests through breathless panting, Dahlia wordlessly nodding her compliance. And so, setting their makeshift plan into action, Dahlia veers right and breaks away from Johanna. Heavy footsteps follow behind her, thudding through the undergrowth like a herd of stampeding animals. Brutus had given chase and she couldn't outrun him forever.

Just when Dahlia was preparing to turn and face Brutus head-on, her body smacks into another tribute, sending both of them tumbling to the ground. Sword still tightly gripped in her hand, Dahlia hurriedly clambers to her feet and brandishes the blade at the newcomer.

"Peeta?" She gasps out in relief, arms flopping back down to her side as the cowering boy is no threat. "What are you doing out here?" She asks quietly, momentarily forgetting all about the dangers surrounding them as she approaches the boy with her hand outstretched.