Chapter 18

•• Izuku's POV ••

I knew about Fruitcake's task from the start since I accidentally eavesdropped on Mr. Nezu's conversation with her. The task was for me to make a friend. So I planned ahead of time, knowing that she'll try to convince me. I don't want to deal with that so might as well, skip that tedious step. So now, I'm holding hands with Fruitcake heading over to the potential friend. We made it to the other side of the cafeteria and I let go of her hand. "Meet Shoto Todoroki, you must've heard about his father," I introduced, standing behind him. He turns around and glares at me while I glare back at him. It'll be interesting to see how everything unfolds.

"The name Todoroki does sound familiar. As if I heard it before," she recalled, as I nodded. Before I can continue, Todoroki blurts out, "What do you want, Midoriya? My old man's next business plan so you tell your father about it." I turned to him and glared as I clenched my hand and then snapped at him, "How exactly will I be able to do that?" We don't have to worry about people overhearing our conversation since they maintain a distance from us. Todoroki crosses his arm and explains, "I know who your father is. My old man warned me about your family." I cringed at the word "family" but didn't express it as I kept my guard up.

He also has his guard up since he doesn't trust me at all. Fruitcake chimes in, "Why don't guys calm down?" We both turn and stare at her, she might've felt uncomfortable because she hid behind me. I informed her, "No need to worry. We're perfectly calm, isn't that right, Todoroki?" He nods and mentions, "You know, my old man forbade me from talking to his rivals' kids. You're at the top of his shortlist." I smirk and unclench my hand as I taunt, "I don't know if I should be scared or impressed." He got irritated and urged, "If you're not here to ask about my old man's business plan then why are you here? Stop wasting my time, Midoriya."

"Relax, Todoroki, I won't take up too much of your time."

"Out with it already."

"... Let's propose a... friendship between us."

"Why would I want to do that?"

"Think about it, we can screw over our fathers. We'll be doing the exact opposite of what they want us to do."

I nod and agree, "...Sure, you have until the end of school. You can find me in my office." I turn and walk away with Fruitcake following behind me then suddenly Bakugou blocks my way. "Where do you think you're going, Deku?" He sneered, standing too close to me. I glare at him and warn him, "You're too close. Get out of my way." He doesn't budge and argues, "The distance between is fine, Deku. Because I get to do this to you for talking back." I dodge his punch which makes him angrier and he tries again but I dodge it. I push him with all my strength and he stumbles back so I took the chance to run out of the cafeteria with Fruitcake.

• Hours Later •

I glared at the door, waiting for Todoroki to show up as we agreed in the cafeteria. It shouldn't take him this long to get here. I glance over to Fruitcake and see her working on an assignment, she might've felt my stare because she stopped writing. "Is there something you need, Midoriya?" She asked, turning towards me with an awkward smile. I turned away and sighed, "... There's no need to be awkward around me, Fruitcake." Someone knocks on the door, I take a peek as she answers the door and see Todoroki walking inside. "Wow, what a surprise. I didn't think you'd show up," I said sarcastically, catching a glimpse at the time.

He rolls his eyes and takes a seat, slouching on the chair as I set my arms above the desk. He begins, "We agreed to meet up after school so the least I can do is show up and give an answer to your proposal." I huff in annoyance then Todoroki continues, "But before I can answer, I would like to discuss a little more about the proposal." Fuck, I'll have to humor him so I can get my answer but I've grown impatient. "Okay, what do you wish to discuss?" I blurted, narrowing my eyes at him. He answers, "I'll keep it short for the sake of time. What exactly will you get out of this friendship?"

I glance over at Fruitcake who's giving me the thumbs up then turn my attention back to Todoroki and explain, "Like I said before, I want to piss off my old man because I don't care what he has to say." He smiles a little and points out, "You do realize that our fathers will have this idea for us to use each other so they can know what one another's business plans are." I smirk as I lean back in my chair and confirm, "Yes, I know but jokes on them that will never happen because we couldn't care less about their businesses." That should be enough for him to see my way, he suddenly gets up and walks to the door.

He opens the door and rejoins, "I decided to accept your proposal, my answer is yes... Let's be friends, Midoriya." Before I can say anything, I stand up as he leaves and shuts the door then Fruitcake walks over to me. I turn to her and notice she has a smile plastered on her face. "What made you smile, Fruitcake?" I demanded, shooting daggers at her. She claps her hands and cheers, "Don't you realize, Midoriya? You made your very first friend! I'm so happy for you!" She wraps her arms around me with caution since my arm has yet to be fully healed. "... It's not worth celebrating for," I murmured, softening my gaze.

"Huh? Of course, it is!"

"It's not, what's there to be ecstatic about friendship?" 

"You can't understand since you're very much a loner."

"Thank you for noticing it, Fruitcake."

"Hey, don't get cheeky with me, mister."

She lets go of me and pouts angrily as I raise an eyebrow, I've never seen this side of her. It's new and refreshing to see her like this, it makes me want to tease her even more. "Oh? Are you mad? I can't tell by your mochi-looking cheeks," I teased, grabbing her face. Her face turned red once I mentioned her cheeks so I continued, "Where did all that confidence go, Fruitcake?" She pulls away and narrows her eyes as she threatens me, "I'll get my revenge, Midoriya! You won't know what hit you!" I smirk in amusement and challenge her, "I look forward to seeing you try." She shakes her head and argues, "You'll never see it coming."

This will be interesting to see how her "revenge" will go. I look at the clock and end the discussion, "Keep telling yourself that... But it's time for us to leave." I turn away to get my bag as she gathers her things, I make my way to the door and open it then let her go out first. I lock the door behind me as she tries to organize her papers and we begin walking together. We got out of the school grounds, and right when we took a turn I felt someone start following us. We continue walking for a bit and take another turn but that person is still following us. Shit, why in a time like this? I would've confronted them if it wasn't for this damn arm sling.

"Midoriya, is it just me, or is someone following us?"

"It's not just you, someone is following us."