Chapter 20

•• Ochako's POV ••

Why did he pick this kind of movie?! I should've asked him what movie he picked out instead of going along with him. It's already too late to say something about it since we're twenty minutes into the movie. I have no choice but to watch the entire movie so I don't cause any problems for Midoriya or Todoroki. Throughout the rest of the movie, I would wince in fear and cover my mouth to not scream at every jump scare. I don't think I can take it anymore with my heart spiking at a high rate. Before I knew it the movie ended with a terrifying cliffhanger. How can these two watch an entire movie without flinching or making any sound?

A hand touches my shoulder, I flinch in fear and turn to see Midoriya and Todoroki looking at me. They stare at me waiting for me to say something so I stammer, "I'm fine, guys... Just a little jumpy." Todoroki responded, "I didn't know you were the jumpy type after watching a horror movie, Uraraka." Of course, I don't watch horror movies, I never liked them in the first place! "She's jumpy because she hasn't watched a horror movie before," Midoriya chimes in, "watching Insidious is probably her very first horror movie." That was the name of the movie?! I was so focused on the paranormal activities and horror aspects.

"You do realize that the movie is about a couple's son becoming comatose and experiencing hauntings in their new home."

"W-what?"

"And there's that evil entity who tries to possess the comatose son."

"Was it a-successful, M-Midoriya?"

"You were watching the same movie as we were, Fruitcake."

I'll play it off cool so Midoriya or Todoroki doesn't find out that I'm scared out of my mind. "Sorry, but I got confused with the ending scene," I admitted, smiling shyly. "To answer your question is no," Midoriya answers, "although in the ending scene of the movie the father was the one who got possessed by a different entity." My shy smile fades in an instant only to be replaced by anxiety. "That's horrendous," I quavered, "I can't imagine what it's like to be possessed by an entity." Just the mere thought of it makes my body shiver from discomfort. Todoroki chimes in, "The movie is fiction. It's not like it happened in real life."

"I'm not too sure about that," Midoriya warned with an intense look. My heart sank into my stomach as I sputtered, "W-what did you j-just say?" He gets up from his seat and flickers the lights back on and continues, "I'm not going into it, but you can do your research at your own risk." Now, I'm curious but he won't give any details about it. At the same time, if I were to do a bit of research then I'll freak out. Todoroki changes the subject, "Um... Midoriya, we never discuss where I'll be sleeping." Midoriya thinks for a moment and suggests, "Sleep on the couch for the time being. I don't have a futon for you to use."

Todoroki nodded as Midoriya finished, "Well, I'm going to turn in now." He goes to his room while I bid goodnight to Todoroki and also go to my room. I plop down on my bed and think about the conversation with Midoriya. I clear my mind and try to go to sleep yet something bothers me. I'm still curious about the possession but I can't bring myself to do the research during the night. Curiosity got the best of me so I reach out for my phone and start researching. Within two hours of research, I became paranoid about supernatural possession to the point that I can't sleep. Afraid of the possibility of being possessed while sleeping.

And it didn't help since I watched Insidious. I slowly get out of bed and go out of my room then tiptoe to the kitchen. I get a glass of water since my throat is a little dry. After I finish my glass, I grab another glass cup and fill it up with water. I usually get a glass of water for Midoriya later in the night but since I can't sleep, I can deliver it to him earlier than expected. I go over to his room and knock on the door then let myself inside. I set the glass of water on his nightstand before I turned to leave, so I decided to take a glance at his sleeping face. I see how peaceful he looks while sleeping, there wasn't a frown on his face. Midoriya suddenly scowls and wakes up.

"What are you doing, Fruitcake?"

"I j-just went ahead and s-set a glass of water on your n-nightstand."

"... You're stuttering, what were you really doing before I woke up?.. Why this early in the night?"

"N-nothing! To answer your other question, I can't tell you."

"... Oh, you're one of those people that have nightmares after watching a horror movie."

"N-no, I'm not!"

He sits up and scoots over to make space as he pats his bed for me to sit. I sit down with my back facing toward him then he sighs, "You don't have to lie to me. You're a bad liar, I can see through your lies." I didn't say anything since I was embarrassed to be outed like that. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lie... It's just that I don't want you to know these things about me," I apologized, looking down at the floor. He counters, "... Like when you were whispering to yourself about you being too heavy." In an instant, I turn around and see him looking at me with an unreadable expression. "I didn't find you heavy at all," he confided, making eye contact with me.

I wasn't able to tell if he was lying but his eyes seemed genuine when he said that. "You really mean that?" I asked, "Or are you messing with me?" Midoriya answers, "Why would I lie to you? I have nothing to gain from it." I couldn't help but blush and smile a little at the same time, feeling happy with his answer. He rejoins, "... Back to the previous conversation, you can't sleep because we watched Insidious, right?" I nodded and replied hesitantly, "... I also researched supernatural possession for two straight hours." Midoriya sighs and lies down then he pats his bed again but for me to lie down with him. I lay down facing him while maintaining distance from each other.

He questions me, "You were already afraid before. So, what made you research supernatural possession after watching Insidious?" There was no use in hiding so I replied truthfully, "I got curious after you ended our discussion." Midoriya thinks for a moment and continues, "I didn't think you would do it... That was dumb of you." I was going to say something but he stopped me, "It was best to be left alone since you get scared easily." He's right and now I'm too terrified to sleep. "But do you think there's actual supernatural possession?" I doubted, grabbing his shirt. Then he reassures me, "No, there's nothing for you to worry about, Fruitcake."

I let go of his shirt, calming down after being reassured, and realized something. "It's pretty dumb of me to believe in supernatural paranormal events," I scolded myself, rubbing the back of my neck. I'm embarrassed how I acted, I want to crawl into the abyss. "It was a little dumb of you," Midoriya conceded, "but don't be hard on yourself. It was your first time, and you were curious." I smile a little since I felt a little bit better after hearing that but I feel like pulling a little prank on him. "You're a fake, where's the real Midoriya? The real Midoriya isn't this nice to me let alone comfort me," I taunted, he frowns and turns around his back facing me.

"Did you know that diarrhea is hereditary?"

"... What?"

"Yeah, it runs in your 'jeans'."

"... Pfft-"

"Hehe!"

"That is so goddamn stupid."

"You laughed though!"

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did!"

"Jesus, I'm losing it."