The old you

Z-4C Slingshots were filling the area around, trying to dodge the many explosions around them. Debris and Bodies were lying scattered on the ground, openly showing nothing but reality. This was the harsh truth of war unfolding around you. For most of your men and women it was the first time experiencing this, but not for you. You've already seen the brutality of war, the violence, the heartlessness, the cruelty, and the mercilessness.

With a cold gaze you watch the chaos unfold, untouched by the deaths of your own people.

"Sir they are dying out there! What should we do!?" a young soldier asks, fear and despair filling his gaze.

"Keep the attack going, this is our only chance. The juggernauts have to slow down to shield the infantry more and give the heavy tanks time to arrive at their position." you order.

"But Sir, that will cost thousands of lives!? Shouldn't we at least consider retreating?" he asked, trying to flee from the hell of reality.

"Retreat?" your eyes start glowing more violently, "This is what you're here for. Did you think this would be easy? Did you think being a soldier would be fun?"

Your voice starts to fill with anger over your man's lack of courage.

"Look reality in the eyes soldier. This is what war means! This is what war is! You've not been trained to play on flower fields, you've been trained to fight and die if needed. People die, the difference between a meaningful and meaningless death is what you choose to die for. If you do not have the strength to endure just that little fact you're better off in some damn kitchen!" you shout at your soldier and hand the young man a gun.

"The choice is yours." you add before leaving him to himself.

With your eyes filled with disgust, you walk by a bunch of shocked soldiers, all staring at you in disbelief. But not your Commander.

"You start to return to your old self, Lord (S/N)." Commander Havok pointed out.

"Sometimes, that is what I need to."

Red blaster bolts still flew all around you, filling the air with screams of pain and death.

"Lord (S/N), they've arranged a defence at the gates of the factory. From the looks of it, a breakthrough would be intense." a Scout informs you via commlink.

"Arrange a barricade of tanks before them but do not engage in battle." you order, "Commander Havok, get Vice Commander Itus and tell her she needs to escort the wounded to the ships. Everyone still able to stand will fight alongside us on the front lines."

"At once, my Lord."

Walking back to the juggernauts, you spot the dead body of the soldier you talked to earlier. He still had the gun in his hand and a hole in his chin. Your now again greenish eyes fill themselves with disgust over the suicide of your soldier.

"Pathetic. War does not tolerate cowards, and so does my army." you say to the dead soldier, your voice filled with revulsion.

"Get me a speeder, I'll head to the barricades." you order another one and a few moments later, you stand besides Commander Havok and in front a huge wall.

"And how are we going to get past that, my Lord?" Commander Havok asks cluelessly.

"We won't." you answer shortly.

"We won't?"

"There is no reason to climb a mountain you don't need to."

"I don't understand, my Lord."