Like A Drug

My skin crawls, “What?” I ask, taken aback.

“Zach.” She says, and I feel my heart jump into my throat. “You’re messing around with him, aren’t you?”

“Why would you even think something like that?” I say back. “I don’t do things like that. That’s not who I am.”

“We all go stupid for a bad boy.” She raises her eyebrows and cocks her head. She stares at me for a long time before she makes another assumption, “Just please tell me that you aren’t the virgin he was talking about?”

“I’m not!” I insist with a high-pitched squeal that does nothing to help me deceive her. “I’m not messing around with anyone, let alone someone like Zach.”

“Are you a virgin?” She puts me on the spot.

My tongue pushes against the side of my cheek, “No.” I admit.

“Who did you lose it to?” Her brow pops.

“Toby.” I lie without hesitation.

“He’ll admit that?” She searches my face for any signs of deceit.

“Absolutely.” I nod. Toby will lie for me. He will do pretty much anything I ask him to. And I'm horrible for even thinking that.

“Fine. I’ll stop for now.” She gives up. “I’m going to sit outside for a little bit. Maybe the cold air will help me sober up. ” When she stands to leave, I finally release the breath I’ve been holding in since the beginning of the conversation.

After she leaves, I feel too guilty to do anything else, so I walk into my bedroom and pull my cell phone out to play some music. I feel bad about leading Tyler on, and I’m so conflicted about what I feel for Zach, and I just can’t face any more confrontations. I lay on my bed chest down and allow the music waves to run through my body, and it sends relaxing waves all over. After a fifth song plays, I hear the door to the apartment open and then close.

Sally normally keeps to herself so I know that I won’t be disturbed. But, when my door opens slowly, I jerk my head back to see who it is.

Zach stands there with a stone face, hands shoved in his pockets.

“You can’t be in here.” I quickly bolt upright on the bed. “You need to leave.”

“Why didn’t you come back?” He ignores my panic and instead takes a cautious step forward.

“People are going to see us, and then I won’t be able to talk my way out of it.” I lean up on my knees and practically plead with him to walk away.

“Sally left with Zander.” He says as he takes another step toward the bed. “It’s just us in this house.”

Did Sally leave? She wouldn’t just leave, especially if she thinks I’m sleeping with someone who she hates.

“Sally left? Where?” I ask.

“I think Zander was taking her back to his place.” He shrugs carelessly with eyes that burn me.

Just then, my cell phone chirps, and when I look down at the screen, I see that I have received a text from Sally.

It reads:

I’m going to Zander’s for the night. I’ll be back in the morning.

Don’t be stupid.

Zach glances down, and when he sees the text, he starts to laugh, “Are you going to be stupid, Hollie?” He teases me as he bends down before me and places a hand on my cheek. He allows the pad of his thumb to brush over my bottom lip before he leans in and seals his mouth over mine.