Falling Back

I try to calm my troubled heart as I watch him get out of his shiny, black Chevy.

He's wearing a brown and blue flannel button-up, the blue in the fabric makes the blue of his eyes brighter if that's even possible. His jeans are dark and they fit him so well. His hair is full. The stubble on his jaw is a little darker. His face is soft when he captures my gaze.

"What are you doing here, Zach?" I request while pulling the box tighter against me.

He eyes the box in my hands before taking a step forward. When he gets close enough to see what's inside he stops dead in his tracks.
I glance down where I see the corset peeking through the middle of the clothes. He swallows and then reaches for the piece of clothing.

I turn away, his hand falls to his waist. "What's going on?" He asks after the wheels start to turn behind his eyes.

He knows the car in my driveway belongs to Toby.

"I'm moving my stuff to the apartment," I respond dismissively. "Not that it's any of your business."

"Just one box?" His eyebrow raises with his question.

"No, this is garbage." I shake my head. "I'm not keeping any of this crap."

"I assume you have help?" He says but I know that he already knows the answer. "Loverboy in there too?"

I let out a breath and roll my eyes, "Yes, Toby is helping me."

He's uncomfortable, hands shoved in his pockets. "Look, I know the last time-"

"Don't." I snap with a hand, "I don't care. I just want to be done."

"That's what you're doing then? Throwing out that get-up because it reminds you of me?" He suggests.

"Think what you want. I'm busy." I shake my head with a groan.

He huffs and then runs his hands through his hair, "No. That's not why I came here." He talks fast. "I'm sorry for what I did the other day. I let you get to me and I did something I shouldn't have done."

"It's fine." I shake him off, "It's good. We're good. You're free to see whoever you want to."

"So, you can?" He pushes to get information. "Have you been?"

Suddenly, the door opens, "So, I know I've been ignoring the fact that we had sex, but-" Toby says nonchalantly as he walks out carrying another box. He's looking down at the ground so that he doesn't trip."Shit." He mutters when he realizes that he has interrupted a conversation. His face goes pale.

"You've got to be kidding me?!" Zach explodes and grits his teeth. His face is wound up in jealousy. "Wow, I must have been some practice for you!"

"Calm down." Toby tries to get Zach under control.

"Fuck you!" He bites out.

"Zach just go." I request with an embarrassed shake of my head.

"Are you two together now?" He ignores me and steps up.

Panic sweeps over me.

I can't say anything to him without letting Toby know that I still have no feelings for him. We haven't gotten the chance to have the discussion, I'm not about to have one in front of him.

"You were asked to leave." Toby firmly states and then steps in front of me. "You won't be asked again."

My body starts shaking. Turning to Toby I am apologetic. "Just give me a minute, please."

He sighs and lowers his head and then places the box down on the ground. He gives me a sad look before turning to go back into the house.

Zach folds his hands behind his head and glares at me from across the way. The look in his eyes is brutal.