Twenty-Six

Sasuke's POV

While Naruto's eating breakfast back at the apartment, I decide to head over to the Hokage's building to call in some sick days. Naruto had wanted to go with me to properly introduce the new Hokage and I, but I made him stay home. I wanted to see her for myself, and besides, he needs rest.

Home. Is that what it's called now? Is that considered my home? Wherever Naruto is?

Naruto. From now on, I'll do everything in my power to help you. To make you happy. 

I walk up to the door to the Hokage's office, knocking on it a few times.

"Come in." I hear from inside. I push the door open, peeking inside. Inside sits a blond lady with a purple diamond on her forehead. She's looking over paperwork, biting her bottom lip as she flips through stacks of files. So that's Lady Tsunade. She doesn't seem like much- and she looks young, considering she's a sannin. But I don't underestimate her. Next to her is her assistant- a woman with black hair and a simple outfit- ...is she holding a pig?

I shake my head to compose myself. "Hello." I say, stepping in, bowing awkwardly, because I don't usually bow to people. "My name is Sasuke Uchiha, and I'd like to call in some sick days for-"

"The Sasuke Uchiha?" Lady Tsunade asks, putting down the papers she was holding. She looks up at me, an eyebrow raised in interest. I freeze, sweatdropping.

"...Yes?" I say slowly. The Sasuke Uchiha? The hell? She shakes her head, smiling a bit.

"Nothing, nothing. Continue."

I suck in a breath. Ok... this is awkward.... "As I was saying- I'd just like to call in some sick days for Naru- I mean, Kitsune and I... um." Wow. "Totally" nailed it.

She waves her hand dismissively. "Don't worry, I know Naruto is Kitsune. Is he okay? It isn't like him to call in sick." I can tell she's also wondering how I know he's Kitsune, but she doesn't push.

I rub the back of my neck nervously. "I made him call in sick... he wasn't feeling well."

She nods slowly. "Alright... Have as many sick days as you need." She looks up at me, smiling. "You two... are close?"

I tense. "...I'm not sure what you mean." I decide to say. ...I'm not sure I like this lady.

Tsunade shakes her head again. "Nevermind. If that's all, you're free to go."

I nod in thanks to her, and start to turn towards the door. Then I hear Lady Tsunade call out from behind me.

"Today's Naruto's birthday, if you didn't know." She blurts out. My eyes widen, and I whip around to face her.

"It is?" I ask, unable to hide the surprise in my voice. Really? How did I not know? Why didn't he tell me?

Tsunade nods. "October tenth. Did he not tell you?" My face must say it all, because she looks at me sadly. "Don't feel bad. Don't tell him I told you this, but- Naruto has his own reasons for avoiding his birthday. Villagers used to... attack him when he was younger." She closes her eyes. "I feel bad for not being there for him as his godmother- but I was in a bad place. I think Itachi Uchiha was the one that saved him? And that he was the one who got Kitsune into Anbu? Thank god he did." She looks up at me. "Wasn't he your older brother?"

I can tell she wants to say more, but I'm out of there before she can.

.................................................................................................................

Walking through the village, and I can't help but scowl as new thoughts and questions swirl inside my head. Villagers attacked him? Why? Was that what he was talking about back in the Land of Waves? "I've been through hell and back, by my village's own people." Was that it? Oh god- his scars. I clench my fists so tightly my knuckles turn white. I don't let myself go there. ...I'll ask him about it later.