Nine

Naruto's POV

The chunin exams are coming up. Just in time too, since Sasuke recently healed from his wounds back in the Land of the Waves. After our mission, we got him bandaged, stayed until the bridge was finished, (which they named "The Great Naruto Bridge," which is stupid,) and headed back, where he got full treatment. I sent my report and body scrolls to Lord Hokage, which got a few looks from a certain Uchiha.

A week before the chunin exams. I bolt up in my bed, sweat dripping down my body. I gasp for breath, gripping my hands onto the bedsheets. Another nightmare. Perfect. They seem to be coming more recently now. And why now, of all times? ...Whatever. Letting out a long sigh, I lazily get out of bed and get dressed. I think the jonin meeting will be soon... to determine which genin groups will take place in the chunin exams. I forget I have to attend those things. Troublesome. Hokage's right hand men and all that shit.

I decide to take a walk. Cools me off sometimes, though walking somewhere more... rural, like the woods of Tazuna's house, is usually calmer than the streets of the village. Once I'm out in the streets, I suddenly hear loud voices in front of me. A boy a few years older than me with purple face paint holds Konohamaru by the collar as the young boy struggles. Next to him is a blond girl with four pigtails, a fan on her back. Sand genin. I can tell from the headbands. Konohamaru's friends are cowering next to a nearby fence. Two people... there should be a third one... ah. There he is. Oh, interesting... Shukaku.

"*tch. That one tailed excuse of a tailed beast."

The face paint man shakes Konohamaru, shouting something at him. Something in my chest bubbles up, kind of like anger. NO ONE. Treats Konohamaru like that. Not only is he the old man's grandson, he's actually one of the first people who considers me a friend.

I shunshin behind the face paint man, and swing my leg, knocking his legs from under him. He yelps and drops Konohamaru, whom I catch and bring to his friends, hurrying them away. Sticking my hands in my pockets, I turn back to stare at the face paint man, who's now on the floor, still in shock, and his blond comrade, who's staring at me wide-eyed.

"It wouldn't be too wise, if the Sand were to harm the Hokage's grandson." I muse. "Consider that a favor and a warning. You are in our village for the chunin exams we're hosting, after all." 

The face paint man seems to have recovered, and growls at me, narrowing his eyes.

"And who the hell are you?" He spits, quickly bouncing back up to his feet. I refrain from sighing. Why does everyone like to put hell in there when they ask me that?

"Naruto. Naruto Uzumaki." I say, looking bored. "Quite the tough guy act you put up. Threatening little kids but getting defeated by a singular kick? I've seen your kind before." 

His face reddens beneath the face paint, and he gets into a fighting position, reaching for the odd wrapped thing on his back, most likely a puppet. The blond girl also reaches for her fan. I hold up a hand, and they freeze in confusion.

"Ah- don't want to get into a fight in the middle of the street, now do we?" I plaster a fake grin on my face. "Don't want to get your blood everywhere. Besides, I'm sure your comrade would be very unhappy with all this, don't you think?"

"Kankuro. Temari. That's enough." A deep hoarse voice says. My grin widens a bit and I turn to the tree, where I had sensed that chakra signature, and see a short red-headed boy, about my age, standing upside down on a tree branch. On his forehead is tattooed the word "love," and on his back a large gourd. I sense the other two sweatdrop.

"G-Gaara! We were just-" The face paint man, Kankuro, starts.

"We were just talking." I finished for him, smiling at the red head. "No harm done. Pleasure to meet you, Shukaku's container."