Forty-Two

Naruto's POV

I think my heart is racing. Not from fear or panic, but maybe from adrenaline and the need to rip out his windpipe. Thoughts swirled in my head as I tried to piece things together, because- how could he know? Even as Kitsune I barely saw him.

I decide to put on a feign of innocence to test the waters. "...Kitsune? Who's that? No- wait, I think I might've met him before yknow-"

"Cut the act, Kitsune," Lord Danzo says, his voice smooth, and I tense. My face pulls into a frown, my eyes turning dark. I glared at him.

"Well then. Tell me- what makes you think I am Kitsune?" I say slowly. Sai is just watching us from the corner, still having his stupid smile plastered on his face. This information must not matter to him then, if Danzo lets him stay here.

At that, Danzo closes his eye, as if completely relaxing- which ticks me off even more, and he must know that. "What is the coincidence- that the Anbu Commander disappears the same day as the Nine-tails jinchuriki? What is the coincidence that the Anbu Commander was always wandering around and always looking after the new genin teams back then? It just didn't add up." His voice was light- the asshole was amused. If he were capable of it, I think he would've been smiling. "I've always been interested in you ever since you joined anbu. A four year old? That was something very new to me. I thought you wouldn't make it- but no, you did, and you surpassed all expectations. What was even more odd- was that all records of the nine-tails jinchuriki were erased once you joined. It was like he never existed, and was instead replaced by a boy named Kitsune."

My fists clench. So all this time- "All this time, you've been watching me?" I scoffed. "It's true then- the rumor of Root having spies all over the village. That's an invasion of privacy, I'll have you know."

"It's all for the betterment and protection of the Leaf Village," he replies lightly.

....Don't kill him don't kill him don't kill him not yet-

"...Fine." I say. "You know I'm Kitsune. That's wonderful. Did you drag me here all the way just to tell me that? Or are you going to tell me what you want with me too? If not- I'll be going."

The pathetic excuse of a Leaf Elder and council member holds up his working hand, as if stopping me. "Ah... I believe we can work together, Kitsune." 

At that, my curiosity overcomes me. I decide to play along. My frown deepens. "And how, exactly?"

Danzo opens his unbandaged eye again, his eye flashing with amusement. "I can help you can become Commander again. You can gain the trust of your comrades, and in exchange you can relay information to me about the Hokage's Anbu systems. We could work together- for the prosperity of the Leaf- and if your reputation becomes well again, Tsunade could give you title of Hokage. That is- if you'll let me become your most trusted advisor."

My face scrunches up in disgust. "So you want me to be another one of your lackeys- a puppet to control the village with from the safety of your darkness."

"Exactly," he says, and I deadpan. He's not even denying it... "Your life would go as normal. I will not interfere with your... personal life. We both have goals we want to accomplish, we both strive for the good future of the people within the Leaf. I believe we can help each other."

Suddenly all alert systems go off within me. He knows about Sasuke. No- he didn't say that outright, but I'll have to watch him more closely.

My anger is barely restrained. "...And if I refuse?" I asked, my voice cold and without emotion. I'm glaring into his eyes, daring him.