Chapter 5: Red Signal

King drove down Manhattan streets as the sun set between the tall buildings behind him

King drove down Manhattan streets as the sun set between the tall buildings behind him. The little bit of light vanished and it seemed as if the whole city was engulfed by darkness, ready for the tormented to creep out of their tombs and cause rampage.

He made his way to the place he'd find his old friend. Many called this friendship strange, since King wasn't a highborn like Alister Black who had an extraordinary lineage and his father was a respectable alpha that the world esteemed. King, on the other hand, knew nothing about who birthed him. Well, he didn't care because he made his own name on this godforsaken planet.

It was when King was a cage fighter and Alister appeared to bet on a few of the fights. King never understood why the rich wasted their money on such things, but whoever tried to figure it out usually ended up with a headache rather than an answer. Alister bet on King during his fight and won quite a lot of money, it was after that that Alister supported him. In those cages, when a fighter got a sponsor it ensured that he was untouchable.

However, what no one knew was that once King gained enough supporters he used them to get out of the cage fights without a target on his back. Alister was just one of those men that King allied with in order to gain status once he escaped.

King's past was tainted by a lot of evil. He used many people and killed a lot more to get his spot in this society. He thought that he could scare his way to the top, be a psychotic animal that everyone feared so he could be respected, and he hadn't failed in that. A part of him didn't want to meet Alister because it would take him back to the time that he didn't like to remember. The time that showed he was an evil merciless man and perhaps nothing changed. A dark and doomed path that he took to fix the void in him was resurfacing and he wasn't pleased about it.

His fist gripped the steering wheel when his mind shifted from those thoughts to the fact that he sat in his mate's prized Tesla. Klaus never allowed anyone to drive his car, King was the only exception. The thought of his mate made him smile. Perhaps his beginning was doomed, but now he was with Klaus and nothing was better than that.

Stepping on the gas, he navigated down the roads zipping past the bit of traffic on the freeway before arriving at the Underworld nightclub.

He parked and got out of the car. Walking across the busy street, he didn't bother with the cars and made sure they stopped without getting in his way. Security opened the doors the moment they saw him and he ignored the looks he got from people. Concern from many because they were worried over why he was here and feared who he was. The club was packed with those who enjoyed the open bar and the music, but he let this place go when he met Klaus. He never seeked solace from the drowning music, hypnotic booze and the plagued souls any longer.

Crossing the huge floor, he made his way to the hidden stairs that was restricted for only a few people. King being one of them, he passed the guards and climbed the stairs. Since Trez already told him where Alister was, he didn't bother going to any other room except the lounge in the back of the hallway.