1 | Anxiety

Stepping out into the cold night, I took in a deep breath. Finally, my lungs weren't taking in the smoke-filled air from the cigarettes and weed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy damaging my lungs here and there, but tonight I needed a little break.

Glancing at my phone, I noticed it was 2:47 a.m. Deciding it was time to leave, I began walking away from the house. My steps guiding me toward the sidewalk.

There were drunk people littered all over the front yard. Broken beer bottles were shattered everywhere. And red plastic cups were thrown on the lawn. The music from the house was blaring so loud I felt like my eardrums were about to burst.

God, I used to be so fun. What the fuck happened to me. When did I start acting like an 80 year old grandma?

I looked to my left and saw a guy hunched over, throwing up while his concerned friend was rubbing his back.

I shook my head.

Memories of similar nights flooded my mind, countless parties that ended with me blacked out on a random person's couch or bed.

The sound of my heels got louder as I walked further away from the house.

Click. Clack. Click. Clack.

It was finally quiet. Sort of.

Although it was quiet outside, the inside of my mind was always loud. My thoughts never left me alone; they followed me everywhere.

After a mere five minutes of walking, a sudden realization washed over me: I was fucking freezing. Instinctively, I enveloped myself in a self-embrace, attempting to preserve whatever warmth I could. I soon regretted wearing a mini skirt with a corset top.

I don't know what I was thinking when I chose this outfit, but clearly, I wasn't.

All I wanted to do right now was change into an oversized sweatshirt and sweatpants and lay in my warm bed. I sighed, knowing I was still a few streets away from my house.

"It's okay, we're almost there. Just envision warmth," I whispered to myself. "Hot chocolate, cozy blankets, a crackling fire..." My words trailed off abruptly as the sound of a gunshot pierced the air.

My feet halted their motion, and I stood frozen in place, momentarily forgetting the numbing cold that enveloped me. I quickly looked around, trying to see where the sound of the gunshot came from, but it was too dark.

I heard another gunshot, and shortly after, the sound of someone's shoes hitting the pavement. It sounded like they running towards me. I continued to stand there, motionless, when a hand closed around my mouth. I was suddenly thrown into the alley I was once standing next to.

That's when panic began to settle in. I was going to die.

I tried ripping the hand away from my mouth, but whoever was behind me was too strong. I tried to scream, but it came out muffled.

"Would you shut the fuck up and stand still? You're going to get us killed," the guy behind me whispered angrily in my ear.

I froze in my spot for the second time tonight. After what felt like hours, a car quickly drove past the alley I was standing in, and the guy behind me finally let me go.

My knees gave way, and I crumpled to the ground, gasping for air. It felt as if my lungs were constricting, suffocating me. Tears welled up in my eyes, and my vision dimmed, gradually fading to blackness.

"Oh fuck," the guy muttered, crouching down in front of me. "Hey, hey, look at me. You're going to be okay, everything will be fine," he reassured, gripping my face to make me meet his eyes.