28 | Meat

Entering the restaurant, we're met with a friendly greeting from the host.

"Xavier Wolfe," Xavier states, and the host checks his tablet.

"Please, follow me," the host guides us, and we trail after him until we reach our designated table. "A waiter will be with you shortly," he informs us before leaving.

Xavier pulls out my chair, and as I settle into it, he takes the seat beside me. Looking at the dimly lit restaurant, I'm captivated by its elegant ambiance, with high ceilings and soft candlelight at every table.

Pouring a glass of wine for me, Xavier breaks the silence. "I hope you like steak," he says, his gaze meeting mine.

I meet his eyes with a playful expression. "I'm quite a fan of meat," I say, a teasing tone underlying my words. "And I'm not just talking about steak."

His eyes shift to a deeper shade of grey, and a hint of amusement lights up his face. My lips curve into a knowing smirk, enjoying the reaction I've elicited.

Before he could utter a word, a man dressed in a sleek suit and tie approaches our table. His light brown curly hair perfectly complementing his chocolate-brown eyes. Freckles adorned his nose, adding a touch of boyish charm, and his lips, complete with a lip ring, held a subtle allure.

"Xavier, I'm glad that you've finally agreed to this dinner," he says with smile, extending his hand for a shake.

Xavier acknowledges with a nod, as he shakes the man's hand. "What can I say? I've been a little busy."

His gaze turns to me, intense and focused. "I'm Axel. And who might you be?" he asks, extending his hand toward me, though his eyes hold a glint of danger.

Before I can respond, Xavier interjects, his voice tinged with a low, menacing growl. "That's none of your fucking business," he growls out.

I roll my eyes at Xavier's sudden protectiveness.

Axel releases a short, amused chuckle and settles into the chair. "No need to be so defensive. I was simply making an introduction," he remarks casually.

Xavier maintains his unyielding gaze, his eyes icy and unwavering. "You've been begging to meet me for months. So start fucking talking," he demands.

I bring my wine glass to my lips, taking a sip, while Axel begins to talk.

I take another sip.

And another one.

And one more.

Their conversation drifts in and out of my attention, mostly revolving around the upcoming fights, the attendees, and the expenses involved. Honestly, it's dull enough to put me to sleep.

Finally, the waiter arrives to take our orders, and just as swiftly departs.

I set my nearly empty wine glass down on the table, and Xavier takes the initiative to refill it while maintaining his conversation with Axel.

Was Xavier's intention to see if he could bore me to death during this dinner? If that was the goal, I had to admit he was succeeding.

The waiter returns, expertly placing our dishes before us. The aroma of the steak hits my senses. Unable to resist, I pick up my fork and knife, slice a piece, and savor it in my mouth.

I relish every bite of this steak; it's undoubtedly the most incredible I've ever tasted. As the flavors delight my palate, I keep indulging myself until I feel content. Setting my knife and fork down, I reach for my wine glass and take a satisfyingly long sip.