42 | Escape

I entered the backyard and settled down by the pool's edge. My gaze fixed on the water, thoughts racing through my mind like a storm. There were so many threads to unravel, I didn't know where to start.

Xavier's revelation in that recording left me dumbfounded. But it was all making sense now.

The familiarity of the restaurants name, Sapori D'Italia. Jason's cryptic hint that Xavier held the answers. And most importantly, why he disappeared.

My brother was a killer. He's the one who killed Xavier's parents. It made me sick just thinking about it. And now Xavier was on the hunt to find my brother and end his life.

I let out a steady breath.

I felt bad for how I reacted when Xavier told me his plans, but I was in shock. My emotions were all over the place, I couldn't wrap my head around it.

But I needed more answers. And the only person who could give them to me was Jason. I needed to find him, even if it meant putting my life at risk just to see him.

I looked up and saw the sun sinking, painting the sky with dusk. I knew I wouldn't be able to leave the house without getting caught, so I had to think of something else.

Getting on my feet, I headed inside. Just as I was heading for my room, the front door swung open and in walked Hunter.

I paused, observing him as he approached and pulled me into a hug. "Hey," he greeted with his usual calm demeanor.

Returning the hug briefly, I stepped back and looked at him. "Hunter," I called his name.

"Yeah?" His gaze wandered around the house as he spoke. "Is Xavier around?"

"I saw him about 30 minutes ago, in his office. Not sure if he's still there or not," I informed him.

He nodded, turning his attention back to me.
"Did you want something?"

"Um, yeah. I was wondering if you could give me a ride to the store," I said, shifting on my feet.

"The store? Which one?" he inquired.

"Any pharmacy will do," I replied.

A hint of concern crossed his face. "Are you alright? Are you in pain?" he asked, worry apparent.

I managed a small smile. "I'm fine. Just need to pick up a few things. You know, girl things," I said, hoping he'd understand.

"What kind of girl things?" he questioned, tilting his head slightly with a puzzled expression.

"Just the usual stuff. Pads, tampons, you know," I replied.

"Ah," he finally got it, a hint of realization dawning. "We can have those delivered to the house. We don't need to go to the store."

"No," I objected a bit too hastily. "I mean, I need them right now. Waiting for a delivery could take forever," I explained.

"Alright then, but let's keep it quick," he agreed, heading towards the front door. Following him, we made our way to his car and settled in.

As he started the engine and pulled out of the driveway, I asked, "Did you have any plans for today?"

"Xavier just wanted to catch up and discuss the fight coming up next month," he answered nonchalantly.

I nodded in understanding. Hunter's gaze shifted to me for a moment before returning to the road, and he let out a sigh. "I told him about what went down at the carnival," he admitted quietly.

I met his gaze. "I kind of figured that," I replied.

He looked remorseful. "I'm sorry, Layla. I know I promised I wouldn't say anything, but if Xavier found out I knew and didn't tell him, well, you know how he can be."