10 | Run

I glanced at the clock, the digits reading 12:45 a.m. Everyone should be fast asleep by now, I reassured myself.

I quietly made my way to the closet and swiftly put on a pair of white socks and sneakers. I also pulled on a hoodie, just in case it was cold outside.

Emerging from the closet, I set my sights on the door, my determination growing. Kneeling down to the height of the doorknob, I focused on the knife in my hand. I guided the blade towards the lock, using my acquired skills from past experiences of being trapped in rooms.

I owed that to Jason.

After a couple of attempts, the door yielded to my efforts, emitting a satisfying click as it swung open. A wide grin stretched across my face, a surge of excitement coursing through me.

I carefully set the knife on the floor, ensuring it wouldn't make any noise. Peeking my head out of the room, I surveyed the silent surroundings.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped outside and began to tread down the dimly lit hallway.

Reaching the foot of the staircase, the same one that Scar and I had ascended earlier, I paused and scanned the area for any signs of movement. Satisfied that the coast was clear, I proceeded down the stairs with cautious steps.

Directly ahead loomed two imposing doors, their size and height hinting at the grandeur of the front yard beyond. With a sense of determination, I quietly made my way towards the doors and gently pulled them open.

My heart raced within my chest, anticipation and hope coursing through me.

Before I could even take a step outside, an ear-splitting alarm suddenly pierced the air, filling the house with its deafening sound. I instinctively covered my ears with my hands, desperately trying to block out the noise.

Without a moment's hesitation, I sprinted through the front door and burst out into the front yard, only to be met with a disheartening sight.

Towering before me were gates, at least 15 feet in height, sealing off any chance of escape. My heart sank as I scanned the surroundings, my eyes widening with fear.

To my right, I noticed armed men rapidly approaching, their presence confirming that this place was heavily guarded.

Panic surged through me, urging me to act swiftly. Without second-guessing, I spun on my heels and sprinted to the left, desperately seeking an alternative route.

It felt like I was running through a forest, with tall trees surrounding all around me. The ground beneath my feet felt uneven and unforgiving, roots and branches seemingly reaching out to trip me at every turn.

My heart was pounding in my chest, every fiber of my being screamed with adrenaline. The thudding of my footsteps echoed in my ears, blending with the rustling of leaves and the occasional snap of a twig.

Time seemed to distort, the seconds stretching into eternity as I pushed my body beyond its limits. Fear coursed through my veins.

I leaped over fallen logs, weaved through narrow gaps between trees, and ducked beneath low-hanging branches, my body moving with a primal instinct to survive.

As I kept running, I made the mistake of looking back to check if the armed men were still chasing me. That momentary lapse in attention proved disastrous as I stumbled over a hidden branch and crashed to the ground.

I let out a pained hiss as I felt the sting from the fall. Looking to my left, I spotted a large tree and carefully crawled my way behind it, seeking cover.

I strained my ears, the rustling of leaves growing louder with each passing second as the approaching footsteps drew nearer. Instinctively, I clamped my hands over my mouth, stifling any sound, while my eyes widened with fear.