53 | Love

I gradually opened my eyes, blinking away the haze of confusion. My surroundings slowly came into focus, and I realized I was back in my own bed.

I turned my head to the side, spotting Xavier seated on the couch, drinking a glass of whiskey. His eyes seemed distant as he stared into the amber liquid. I observed him silently for a few moments before mustering the strength to sit up.

The memories of the brutal fight flooded my mind, and my heart sank in my chest. As much as I loathed Jason and wanted him to die, the act of taking a life, even his, weighed heavily on my conscience. I had never killed anyone before, and the stark reality of ending my own brother's life was both horrifying and unsettling.

Xavier rose from his seat, crossing the room to reach my bedside. "You're awake," he stated in a subdued tone as he settled on the edge of the bed beside me.

I nodded softly, my voice barely more than a whisper. "I'm awake."

Xavier gently pulled me into his comforting embrace as we settled down. I rested my head against his chest, finding solace in the steady rhythm of his heartbeat. His fingers began to trace soothing patterns through my hair. In the quiet of the room, he asked, "How are you feeling?"

A sigh escaped my lips as I wrestled with the overwhelming tangle of emotions. "I don't know," I admitted, my voice trembling. "It's just...there are so many emotions all at once."

His response came with understanding. "That's completely understandable."

I lifted my head slightly to meet his gaze, finding comfort in his reassuring eyes. "I hope you know that everything Jason said wasn't true," he asserted, his voice steady. "You are the strongest person I know."

His words drew a fleeting smile from me. "I don't feel very strong most of the time," I confessed, my voice barely a whisper. "Maybe he was right. I was never able to stand up to him. I've always felt so weak."

My gaze fell downward, my vision blurring with tears. Xavier's voice, firm and unwavering, broke through the darkness of my thoughts. "Don't. Don't do that," he implored, his tone gentle but resolute. "Don't let some asshole make you believe that you're not strong enough."

I remained quiet, finding solace in his presence, the weight of the past slowly lifting from my shoulders.

"You were so brave and strong today. Not everyone would have been able to do what you did," Xavier's voice was filled with sincerity as he continued to reassure me. "And you had every right to end his life,"

My gaze returned to Xavier, who was already looking at me with those intense eyes of his. I leaned in, closing the distance between us, and placed a gentle kiss on his lips. "Thank you," I whispered, my voice tinged with gratitude. "For tonight. For everything."

"You don't have to thank me," he replied, his words carrying a sense of humility. "I'm just glad he's finally out of our life, and we can both relax."

I nodded in agreement, feeling a weight lift from my shoulders. Finally, I was free—free from the haunting memories, the relentless nightmares, and from Jason's oppressive presence.

Xavier rose from the bed and approached my side, extending his hand toward me.

"Come, I'm starving," he announced, his tone light.

A soft laugh escaped my lips as I took his hand, willingly following him into the kitchen. My eyes landed on the island where a spread of the food I had been craving earlier awaited. A smile crept onto my face as I looked at Xavier

"You actually got them," I exclaimed with a hint of amazement in my voice.

Xavier grinned. "Well, I had Hunter run to the store to get them, but yeah," he admitted.