44 | Wrecked

Xavier's POV

I stood in the center of my living room, my chest rising and falling rapidly. The whole place is wrecked.

Glass is shattered all over, the walls have holes in them, and the couch looks like it went through a war zone. The room looked almost unrecognizable.

I shoot a glance at the wall beside me and slam my fist into it once more, creating yet another fucking hole. I keep doing it, over and over, until the wall is a mess of holes. There was blood dripping from my knuckles as I pull my hand back.

I clench my fists and feel my veins throbbing as anger surges through me. I watch as Hunter stops at the entrance of the living room, afraid to come any closer.

"I didn't—" he tries to explain, but I don't give him a chance.

"I don't want to hear a fucking word from you," I grind out, my voice dripping with fury. I take a step forward, the sound of broken glass crunching beneath my shoes.

I keep moving until I'm right in Hunter's face. My fingers curl into his shirt, yanking him closer, my eyes boring into his. "You've got five fucking minutes to tell me where Layla is, or I'll tear you apart," I hiss through gritted teeth.

"I'll find her, just chill," he says.

His words only fuel my rage. "Chill?" I snarl, my grip on his shirt tightening. "You want me to fucking chill? After you let Layla slip through your fingers?" I'm ready to tear Hunter apart with my bare hands.

"I had no idea she was gonna bolt. I stepped away for a quick moment to take a call, and when I turned back, she was gone," he explains.

"I don't give a fuck about your excuses. All I want is to find her," I release his shirt, and he stumbles back a step. "Every time she's with you, she ends up in some mess."

"That's not fair," he argues.

"The party, the carnival, and now this?" I raise my voice. "She was with you every single fucking time," I jab my finger at him.

I snatch up a glass cup and slam it against the wall. It shatters into countless pieces. "How the hell did you let her escape?" I roar, my rage ripping through me. "She's never going anywhere with you again, and you better damn well understand that."

"None of those times were my damn fault," he fires back.

I seize my gun and jab it harshly against the side of his head. "You don't have the fucking right to raise your voice at me."

He drops his head.

"Your damn time is ticking. Three minutes left," I seethe.

I watch him pull out his phone and start scrolling through it. "Are you seriously using your phone right now?"

"Before she ran away, she asked to use my phone for a quick search. Maybe I can find what she was looking up," he mutters under his breath.

"You better pray you find something," I warn through gritted teeth.

He continues rifling through his phone until he finally opens up his search history. After clicking on the first link, he looks up at me.

I snatch the phone from his grip and glare at the screen. "Golden Motel," I grind out.

"Isn't that where—"

"She's trying to track down fucking Jason." My fingers clench around the phone before I hurl it against the wall.

"Dude, that was my damn phone," Hunter whines, gazing at his shattered device on the floor.

I shoot him a furious glare. "Fuck your phone."

I couldn't wrap my head around why she'd run off to find Jason. What the fuck did she need from him?

I stride past him and snatch my keys from the entryway table. Hunter trails after me. "You're heading to the Golden Motel?" he throws at me.

"You seriously need to ask me that right now? Of course I'm fucking headed there," I snap as I leave the house and walk toward my car.

"It's almost an eight hour drive, Xavier. We're not gonna make it in time," he insists as we settle into the car. "She's probably halfway there by now."

My teeth clench at his words. "I plan to be there before she is."

I start the car and reverse out of the driveway. "We're going to die," Hunter mumbles beside me.

I glance at him, my eyes flaring. "Then I guess you better start seeking forgiveness from God now," I warn him, as I slam my foot down on the gas pedal.

I was going to find her, even if it was the last fucking thing I ever did.