14. Fuck Philips

I am not going to school today since I need to rest up, and Bash and Delly aren't going to be home because they are spending a day in Town, then they are going to visit the Cuthberts. So I have the house to myself today, I am going to just rest in bed, I need it.

"see you later Lia, rest up today" Gilbert tells me as he leaves.

Bash and Delly already left, the wanted an early start.

about an hour passes once everyone has already left. It is quite peaceful being alone. I don't really mind it, although I am happy that I have Gilbert, Bash and Delphine. As much as alone time is important, being loved feels like the most important thing in life. Especially at the moment, with everything that I have been through.

I decide to get up and go to Gilbert's desk. I am not quite sure what to do so I decide to write a letter to my father, as if he was still alive, and I just went on a long holiday without him, like an adventure. I love adventures, he knew that.

I begin to write:

"Dear dad,

It's me, Lia. I miss you. I wish I could see you. Do you remember that boy I was talking about on the carriage ride here? Well we are together now. I love him so much and I can't wait for you to meet him when you come home. He's called Gilbert and we live together. A man called Sebastian also lives here and he has a daughter called Delphine. She's lovely and really innocent. I do have a worry though. There's a man, who happens to be my teacher at school. He likes me in a way I will never like him. He is disgusting. He had done it once before but yesterday he tried again. He was so close. I thought that was the end. I thought he was going to take me away and once done with me kill me. But Gilbert helped me. I suppose he loves me just as much as I love him. I do love him, this time it's real. I love Gilbert Blythe. I always will.

I miss you dad. Please come home soon.
      -Idalia"

I don't know what to do with this letter now, I guess I haven't really thought of that.

I go out into the kitchen and make some tea for myself. I bring it back to the bedroom and sit up in bed while sipping my tea.

I am starting to feel better now.

A few hours pass and I realise that it won't be long until Gilbert gets home.

I hear a knock on the door.

He can't be home yet.

I get up and go to the door and open it.

Oh. My. Fucking. Goodness.

I stand here with the door wide open in disbelief.

Mr Philips is at the door.

"I don't even know why you aren't at school. But I would like you to leave my house. Good day." I try to be calm but every word I speak to this man is another memory of his hands on my body. My body that is now so fragile because of him.

"I'm afraid that's not possible" he says to me as he stops the door from closing with his foot.

"May I come in?" He asks

"You may not. If you need to speak to me then speak."

"Okay."

"Go ahead"

"Well. I'm not at school because I called in sick. To see you, they have a cover teacher called mrs Stacey."

"Okay. What else. What are you doing at my house?"

"Well I wanted to say that I am truly sorry for my behaviour yesterday."

"I doubt that."

"I would like to make up for it. Can I come in and make you some tea?"

"I have tea. Don't come in."

I don't know what he is trying to do but it's not working. I won't fall for it. Whatever it is.

"What are you trying to achieve here sir?"

He doesn't talk.

He puts his hand on the door so I cant shut it and he comes closer. I step back and as I do so I trip over the edge of the door.

He now comes inside of the house and shuts the door behind him.

I get up but he pushes me back down. He drags me across the floor by my legs into mine and Gilbert's bedroom.

"What are you going to do to me?" I ask, frightened

"Something a little different this time, see you told on me. Gilbert told me that he knew what I did that day."

My heart sinks into my chest and I can barely breathe.

"Do you remember what I told you that say? Sweet Idalia?"

FLASHBACK:

"Ugh- Gilbert is calling for me. Why is he so early?"

"I- I don't know sir" I say, wiping my eyes trying not to cry as loud as I was.

"Well I should go out then. We are quite done in here."

He walks out the room and I hear him tell Gilbert to go wait outside. I brush myself off  and fix my hair to make it look like nothing happened.

"Idalia, you're out of the room."

I walk over to him as he makes a signal for me to do so.

He whispers so Gilbert can't hear from outside: "I quite enjoyed that and I have high hopes for you. But if you ever tell anyone about what I have done, I will have to kill you- destroy the evidence."

I gulp. He what?

"go sit outside with Gilbert" he says at a normal volume

(Flashback is over)

"Y- you said you would have to destroy the evidence."

"Very well done Idalia."
"And how do I do that, can you remember"

"You kill me."

"Well remembered!"

He comes closer to me and puts his hand in his pocket.

I don't want to die. Not now. Not because of him.

I need Gilbert.

I need him right now.