20. The day after

Gilbert's POV

"Lia! Breakfast is ready!"

As soon as I started talking, I heard movement in the bathroom, I didn't realise she was up already but its no big deal. after about 20 seconds I still have no answer from her, so I decide to go to the bathroom to check she's okay. I go up to the bathroom door and knock on it gently.

"Lia? Did you hear?"

"shit, uh yeah I heard I'm coming out now" I hear a muffled voice say.

"hey, are you okay in there? you sound a little startled"

"oh um I- I uh just... *cough* I just wasn't expecting breakfast to be ready already." she says through the door.

"oh... okay well, just come out when you're ready"

"okay my love"

I go back into the kitchen and Bash is there now.

"Morning gilbert"

"Morning Bash"

"you ready? Gil?"

"ready for what?"

I genuinely have no idea what he is going on about.

"are you ready for school today?"

"yeah... why wouldn't I be"

"wow dude you really don't have a good social life do you."

"what? wh- Bash what am I supposed to be ready for?"

"I'm just saying... the whole class knows what has happened now right? so... why would they not ask questions about it? some people may not believe you guys. some might believe it and see Lia completely differently and therefore treat her differently. you two are gonna be swarmed!"

"Well I guess there is no way really to avoid that... what are you saying I should do?"

"I am saying you should protect her Gilbert! she is fragile and scared you need to make sure no one gets to her head."

"right... I can do that."

The fact that people getting into her head is a possibility scared me a little. They could influence the thoughts we talked about yesterday. I will protect her. Subtly.

"You can do what?" Lia says as she walks into the room, having heard the last thing I said.

"oh nothing we were just messing around" I say.

"alright then... do you want to get going?"

"where to?" my mind goes blank

"uh school-" she laughs a bit.

"oh right yeah. lets go."

we head off and go on our way to school.

"are you nervous" I hear her say after a short silence.

"A little, but we can get through it together"

"sure?"

"yes!

Lia's POV

We get to the school door and Gilbert hesitates to open it, so I push through and open it myself.

I can feel my heart in my throat. What is happening? Where is everyone?

I stand there, frozen, in my school room. I look for the clock that is normally on the wall and it's not there. I turn around to ask Gilbert what's happening and he isn't there. Actually when I turn around the door slams shut. I get a shiver down my spine. I turn back around and the clock is right there in front of me.