Partners

I like to think of myself as a successful woman. I have a wonderful growing company, and I'm living a life that makes me feel content. I have everything I need but...

"Ms. Venice?" I snap out of my thoughts and see my secretary standing in my office with someone towering behind her. She's gripping onto her clipboard like it's the only thing keeping her from fainting.

"Yes?" I raise my eyebrow at the man in the room. His blue eyes are piercing into my soul and his blonde hair is combed neatly to the side.

"Mr. Brulee is here to see you about the partnership." My secretary nods her head and leaves the room in a hurry.

"I would appreciate it if you didn't scare my employees Mr. Brulee." I pinch the bridge of my nose and flip through some papers on my desk.

"My apologies Ms. Venice, it's just I didn't know if you had forgotten our appointment since it started about half an hour ago." He has a smug look on his face, I hadn't even noticed he had sat down in front of my desk. I rubbed my temple...what's going on with me today?

"Half an hour?" I mumble and mentally hit myself. Usually it isn't this bad.

"Hard time today?" He's looking straight at me.

"That's not why you're here. Since I've already wasted a lot of your time, why don't we get straight to the point." I fold my arms and lean forward on my desk and he clasps his hands before setting them on my desk.

"This partnership has a lot of benefits. However, I want to know if my partner will always be this...complacent?" He raises an eyebrow and I feel my whole body tense.

"I'm not complacent." I clenched my jaw, "I'm just a normal person who needs a break every once in a while."

"I also heard a rumor...is it true that you, Ms. Venice, are currently searching for a date to the art show this weekend?" He's staring into my soul again with his lifeless eyes.

"That rumor is false." I try to keep my cool, "If you are so well informed Mr. Brulee, you would know I'm taking my husband to the show." His face twisted and his blue eyes started to glare with jealousy.

"I think I would know if the famous Ms. Venice has a husband." He seethed. His jaw was clenched and he looked irritated.

"You wouldn't know because she didn't want to announce it." My head snapped up at the voice and there stood my husband with his dark hair hanging over his forehead like he had left the house in a rush and his honey brown eyes were darker than normal.

"Have you ever heard of knocking? We are in a meeting!" Brulee stood up and his hands were clenched into fists and he was shaking.

"This meeting is over." I sighed and Brulee stared at me with a look of hate.

"This is far from over." He stormed out of the office and I put my head down on my desk.

"Killian, my head is killing me." I grumbled. He was at my side and started rubbing my back.

"I'm sorry, love, do you want me to grab you anything? Or take you home?" He asked. His voice was laced with concern. I didn't respond, I just groaned. "Olive you have to talk to me."

"My cramps are really bad, I have a headache, and I really want to go home but I have several more meetings." I looked over at him and he brushed my hair out of my face. He was kneeling down and looking up at me, his eyes filled with worry.

"Love...I can take you home." He ran his thumb over my cheek.

"Aren't you supposed to be in a meeting?" I asked. He chuckled.

"Yes love, but you need me more than some meeting." He ran a hand through my hair.

"I would like some water and my pills should be in my purse. I would also like a drink from Starbucks." I smiled and he stood up and kissed my temple.

"Of course. Anything else?" He rummaged through my bag for my pills and set them down on my desk and grabbed my water bottle that was next to my purse.

"Yeah." I glared up at him, "Go to your meeting." He rolled his eyes a little and kissed my forehead.

"Okay, but you will call me if you need anything else?" He looked right at me and I knew I couldn't argue.

"I will call you if I need you, Killian." He started to leave but I grabbed his hand.

"Did you need something else?" I pulled him closer. He got the message and leaned down so I could kiss him.

"I love you." I let go of his hand.

"I love you more." He kissed my cheek before leaving.

"That's not possible." I rolled my eyes and took my pills. I remembered something I had to ask him, I picked up my phone and started to text him but then just decided to call him.

"Forget something?" He asked.

"Yeah, after your meeting will you get my usual drink?" I heard him laugh a little.

"I was already planning on it, my love." I could hear the smugness in his voice.

"Oh really?" I laughed a little.

"Is that all you needed? As I recall you needed me to go back to my meeting." His voice was so comforting.

"Yes. That's all I needed. I'll see you soon." I couldn't stop the small smile taking over my face.

"Okay...oh and Olive?"

"Yes?" I waited for him to say something.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." I felt my heart flutter.

"See you soon my love." He said and I could hear his smile through the phone.

"See you soon." I waited for him to hang up and then the call ended. I went back to my paperwork and felt like a little schoolgirl kicking her feet over a boy. I don't know how he does it but he makes me fall in love with him more and more each day. I felt my cheeks warm and I covered my face with my hands.

"And he's all mine." I twirled around in my chair and couldn't help smiling. "Okay, okay." I took a few deep breaths before returning to the paper in front of me. My phone vibrated and I looked at it, he had texted me.

Oh, I almost forgot, come straight home right after work...I have a surprise.

My cheeks went hot again before replying.

What kind of surprise?

Three dots appeared and I waited for his reply.

The kind I know you'll like. ;) I'm bringing your drink so I'll see you soon my love.

I smiled.

I'll see you soon...I love you too.

It's days like this that I know I chose the right one. I stared out my window over the city watching the cars pass by below.

This is what it means to finally be at peace.