Loving Killers

I slipped into the bathtub and felt the steaming water made me clench my jaw. I had filled the bath with bubbles and surrounded myself with candles. I leaned my head back and squeezed my eyes shut.

"Laina! Don't move, it'll be okay." My mom held up her hand to my sister who stood in front of a man pointing a gun at her head.

"Laina!" I screamed. My mom held me in her other arm.

"This is the price you must pay for your incompetence." The man said. His eyes were emotionless as he pulled the trigger. My sister fell to the pavement and I don't know who screamed louder, me or my mom. She let go of me and ran to my sister's lifeless body.

"Laina?" I asked. I didn't even hear myself. I stood away from my mom and dead sister. I felt numb.

"This is all your fault." My mom glared at me, "If you hadn't insisted on playing outside!" She yelled. Nothing in me could shatter anymore. I felt like an empty shell.

"I'm sorry mama." I looked down at my hands. They were now dripping in blood.

"Good job, Agent." A man rested his hand on my shoulder. I held a gun at my mother's head. "Now do it." The man urged. I stared into the eyes of the woman I once loved so much.

"Any last words?" I don't even recognize my own voice.

"You were always a murderer." She spat and I pulled the trigger.

"Red?" I turn around and someone's standing there.

"I had to." I say softly.

"Red!" The person is yelling now.

"I'm sorry." I say quieter now.

"Red!" Someone yanks me from the water. I gasp for air and I'm being held in someone's arms.

"L-Luke?" I looked up and his soft blue eyes are filled with worry.

"Are you okay? You were under the water a-and you weren't s-saying anything." He runs his thumb over my cheek.

"I-I was..I was..." I trailed off and stared down at the bubbles, "Bad memories." Is all I can get out before I burst into tears.

"It's okay, I've got you." He rubbed my back and holds my head against his shoulder.

"I didn't want to kill anyone." I sobbed.

"I know you didn't." He says softly.

"I love you." I blurt out.

"I love you too, Red." He says without hesitation. I look up at him and he gives me a small smile. His blonde hair is out of place and he's still wearing his suit. I grip his suit in my fist and shiver, I hadn't noticed the water had gotten so cold.

"How about a new bath and a movie night?" Luke suggests. I just nod in response as he pulls me from the tub and wraps me in a towel. He unplugs the bath and starts to fill it up again. He relights some candles and adds more bubbles. He places a stool next to the bath and holds out his hand. I take it and he keeps eye contact with me the whole time. I drop the towel and he helps me back into the tub.

"Thank you." I say quietly. He takes off his suit jacket and rolls up his sleeves and takes some shampoo on his hand before sitting down on the stool and washes my hair.

"You're welcome, my love." He kisses my forehead and continues to wash my hair and massage my head in the process. I relax into his touch.

I proved you wrong mother, I was never a murderer, I was just a kid and someone who wanted to be loved.