Chapter 9

Mikaela

"Ya seen Brie's jacket ma?" August came into our bedroom and asked me.

"It's in her second drawer," I replied as I continued to smooth over my shirt in the mirror.

He nodded as he went back to getting Brie dressed as I took a deep sigh. Today was the day, the day of the final hearing and the day I would find our my fate. I tried was nervous, anxious and hopeful all in one.

As I took one last look at myself in the mirror I remembered last night. After praying with August, I couldn't sleep...I also kept thinking about how I was going to explain this to my baby girl if the worst was to happen today.

"Alright Mikaela," I said softly to myself before leaving the bedroom.

"Mommy can I bring Eddy?" Brie came up to me holding her teddy bear in one hand and a pink balloon in the other.

August was right behind her. "she wants ta take dem both" he explained

"Yeah baby, you can take Eddy but you're gonna have to leave this balloon at home" I said smoothing over a stray strand of her hair.

"I want my bloon too," she pouted a little

"See what I been dealin wit," August said softly to me .

"Well you're gonna have to choose Brie. It's either Eddy or your balloon" I said giving her an ultimatum.

She looked up at the balloon in her hand and then to eddy, before placing Eddy gently on the couch.

I smiled. She was attached to that Balloon ever since she got it last night. As with everything new she sees

"Aight ma, Imma call up T ta come get us," August said after our little "dilemma" was all sorted out.

I took the opportunity to try to talk to Abrianna, even though I knew if I were to lose this case and go to jail she wouldn't understand.

"Brie baby, come here for a minute," I said to her as she continued to tug at her balloon string but obeyed.

I sat down on the couch as I pulled her inbetween my legs.

"This hairdo makes you look like me so much," I began

"But maw maw says I'm her Aug-bug..cuz I look like daddy" Brie said back

I chuckled, " yeah you do look like your Daddy a lot a lot. "

"Honey you know mommy loves you right?" I asked her as I just kept on admiring her.

She continued on with her balloon but nodded her head, " I luh you too mommy"

"I know," I said as I smiled

"You know how daddy has to go on the plane sometimes to work?" I asked her, trying to put it in simple terms

"Uh huh. Daddy goin again??" She looked up at me and asked with sadness in her voice

"No babe, not right now....but mommy might not be here for some time," I replied

"Are you goin on plane?" She asked

I half smiled as I took her hands in mine and playfully swung them from side to side. "Not exactly, but I could be gone for some time...and you'll get to talk to me on the phone like you talk to daddy. Anddd..." I went on, " you'll get to spend some more time with maw maw Sheila and daddy"

"Maw maw stayin?" Her eyes lit up at my words

"Yeahhh!" I said trying to sound extra excited.

Ms Sheila, August and i had decided if anything, she'd stay in Atlanta to help August with Brie.