The Glorious Chase

Saphira's POV

Legolas and his mount Arod hadn't gone far by the time I was within stalking distance of them. They were moving at a slow stealthy pace as if they were hunting, and I guessed that from the blood stained rabbit that lay hidden in a bush was just evidence to confirm my guess. So I followed Arod at a good hiding distance, using my night vision to watch them from behind a few paces worth of track and bushes.

I tracked them for at least half an hour, and believe it or not I was starting to get bored. This was tiring work for me, who knew dogs and other pets had to go through this while working for their owners. Suddenly I sensed something was going to happen, it was like the forest was trembling beneath my paws and without thinking I sprinted out of my cover and ran for Legolas and Arod.

It wasn't hard to find them; they were in a clearing; or at least Legolas was. Arod was actually the one who nearly trampled me in his haste to get away and he dumped Legolas to the ground in his attempt to run. I dodged his flailing hooves and broke through the tree line just in time to see a huge brown bear rise up out of the bushes in a small clearing and roar at a fallen Legolas. I skidded to a stop, not wanting to interfere since Legolas was armed, and then I realized that his bow lay off to the side too far away for him to grasp. His quiver was empty as well, and the arrows were thrown all over the place from his fall. He was armed now with only a knife, and I doubted he would be able to hold of a bear of that size for long. I could smell the creature's breath from here, a rancid mixture of fish and rotted flesh that made my stomach want to turn inside out.

The bear roared again and charged, and Legolas dove under him, slicing upwards as he slid beneath the animal's leg and drawing a sufficient amount of blood. But the bear wasn't amused, and more enraged he swung a muscular arm at Legolas and caught him off guard and Legolas went flying back into the ground with the air knocked out of him. The bear reared up and let out a triumphant roar once more before bringing his front paws down to crush Legolas; and then I careened madly into his side and sent him flying back off balance.

Stumbling to his feet, the bear let out a screech that made even my ears ring as I stood fast in front of Legolas in the form of Shadow the night wolf. My size was a downgrade by far, but I was quick and very strong if I played that to my advantage. Like lightning I struck fast and I took a big bite out of its furry arm before springing back and running my ivory claws down its exposed side. The dull sound of the bear's pained growls and roars barely registered in my ears as I launched myself at the bear again, this time securing my paws on the bear's shoulder blades. I sunk my claws in deep, and clung on for dear life as the bear thrashed and cried out in constant pain. He was stumbling right for Legolas, who was just barely grasping the situation, and quickly I decided that I had had enough of this bear. I brought my head down towards the creature's neck, and thoroughly I clamped down on the skin behind the head, and snapped the bear's neck in two.

The body went limp almost instantly and I went tumbling off of the dead bear's body into the softer grass. I welcomed the feeling of solid ground again, and then proceeded to puke my guts out at the sight of the bear's head lying on the ground. There wasn't much in my stomach to begin with anyway; just a whole lot of stomach acid and a few bird feathers. My ribs ached from the collision as well, and I could feel them cracking as I shifted to a sitting position, the pain was unbearable. I must have cracked a few ribs as well, that's just perfect.

"Shadow?" a shaky voice called out to me from across the clearing and I perked up and raised my head to spot Legolas trying to stand against a tree. I limped over to him, my front paw starting to feel number by the second. I think I broke something in there, but there was no time to worry about my pain. I made my way over to him and gently nudged his leg, and he winced and collapsed onto the ground holding his limb in pain.