Chapter 15

The town's coven was an eclectic mix of people, mostly women, though occasionally there were some males who would attend a meeting here or there.

Michelle had read books on Wicca when she was younger, so when she had first discovered the existence of this coven she had assumed that she had a pretty good idea of what to expect.

But what she had expected was not even close to what she had found upon her arrival.

The coven in this town was older-far older-than any other documented outside settlement in the country. They had been in the town for over a millennia. Their primary function, the function for which they were founded, was to act as the gatekeepers and protectors of the kingdom. The floating island that now resided offshore, completely invisible to all but the few who are permitted entrance beyond its gates. And only those who were one hundred percent pure born Witch were permitted that privilege.

Which meant that converts such as one of their younger members whose father was a Warlock, or Michelle who was mostly human but with some minor magical abilities, and all others with similar lineages would never be granted that privilege.

Either way, it didn't strictly matter as the Elder Witches were no longer in the habit of opening the doors.

That had been the original function. Its current purpose remained a mystery to most of its members.

Even Michelle, who had been a part of this coven for over a decade, was still not entirely sure of their purpose. In previous years they had all gathered and spent some time discussing their individual dreams and desires, and then work together to pool their strength and Power in order to help each other to reach their desired goals.

Although the coven did not advertise their presence in the town, they did not hide it either. The women who were members ranged from the elderly to the young and all were there for one purpose or another.

Though in recent years, they spent most of their meetings discussing Sam. In one way or another all of the members of the coven would have some interaction with Sam, and therefore between them they would have a complete report on her activities.

Michelle liked to think that they were monitoring Sam in order to keep her protected. It was no secret that Sam had many enemies who wished her harm. Michelle didn't wish harm to anyone, especially not Sam who as far as she was concerned was nothing more than a child.

She wasn't entirely sure why they were required to monitor Sam, or where their weekly reports ended up once they had been compiled. Those were questions she never asked, because when it came right down to it, she wasn't entirely sure she really wanted an answer.

Michelle looked up as the door closed and Hayley stood by it, she turned the key locking the door with everyone inside.

"Alright then," Hayley said with a smile. "Let's get started."