CHAPTER 15

Mathilda's pov

I walked through the garden to reach the gazebo where my father and the Duke was discussing the fate of the kingdom.

"Ah, Princess. Welcome." My father said.

He called me 'princess', not daughter, like I'm just that to him. Just a way to his future and nothing else.

"Princess Mattie." Duke Rayland bowed.

"Princess Mathilda, Rayland Perrington. It is Princess Mathilda for you. Remember that."

"I apologise, my princess" he bowed low but there was a smirk on his lips.

"Leave us" the King ordered and the gazebo vacanted. "Speak."

"There is a matter of village, my King. I went to....."

"You don't need to speak for the people, my dear. We have Duke Rayland and other lords for the betterment of people. You need not to worry about them."

"But father, I..."

"Go to your room. Now."

And I walked away, away from the people, from my freedom, from everything I cared and....

And bumped into someone.

"I'm so sorry my lady. I was a bit careless. Please forgive me." 

I looked up and froze, he was taller than, about 6'2 or 6'3, while I'm 5'5.

His light brown skin packed with muscles and chocolate brown eyes full of mischief wants me to fall into it.

Unlike his eyes and skin, his hair was jet black. His face was a bit long but still beautiful. There was a scar right below his lips which made him even hotter.

"Princess, are you okay? You look a little disturbed."

"You were Lissa's best friend." As soon as the words left my mouth, I regretted them.

His smile fell and clear regret and longing shone in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't realise how insensitive that was. I didn't mean it like that."

He just nodded and brushes past me.

'I'm such an idiot. Why would you ask him that Mattie?'

"Is." His voice was surprisingly calm.

"What?"

"I'm still is her best friend."

That sentence broke my heart. The pain and emotions behind that mask.

I gave him a sad smile, "I know."