CHAPTER 28

✨ LISSA'S POV ✨

I was in a vision again but this time, it felt different.

I looked around and recognised the place immediately. I was standing on the edge of the dark forest. The village was visible from here and so was the castle.

Two dark figures came into view as they climbed the hill. A girl and a boy.

They were young, no more than 16. They sat on the hill and the girl gave the boy some food from her bag. They laughed and talked until sunrise.

This happened again and again and again and the kids grew up. The girl turned into a beautiful woman and the boy turned into a handsome man.

The woman would bring food and clothing everyday for him which indicated that the man was from a poor family

I could not hear what they were talking about but they seem to be in love.

Suddenly, the scene changed. The man was shouting on the woman and she was crying meekly. He pointed towards the village and shouted again and tried to keep himself away from her.

The woman was crying but she started confidently walking towards the forest.

"No. No. Go back, don't come here." I shouted at her but it seemed like they couldn't hear me.

She stopped at the edge of the forest and turned towards her lover.

"I will go in, with or without you. The choice is yours." Her melodious voice echoed.

The man also followed her but stopped a few steps away.

"Why don't you understand Melany, I can't leave them alone. They are my responsibility."

"So you'll marry her and forget me? Tell me, will you be able to do that?"

"I have already told you that I don't have any other choice. My sisters need the money and Sisily will bring that once I marry her."

"What about me? What about us?" She cried.

"I am so sorry Melany." He looked down shamefully.

"No. You can't do that to me. You promised me."

"I know."

"Marry me. I am just as rich as her. I'll bring you money. I'll take care of you."

"It is not about me Melany. I need to take care of my sisters and my mother. Can you do that? Can you take care of the house and do the chores while I go and work in the mill?"

"I'll..."

"No, you can't. You have a number of servants to do that for you. You don't even know how to wash dishes or sweep the floor."

"I'll learn it for you. I'll do anything for you. Please, please don't leave me."

"No."

"What?"

"No. I'm not waiting for you or your money. I'm done with you. Good bye."

She rushed forward and gripped his hand.

"You can't do this to me."

"Leave me alone Melany."

All of the sudden, he pushed her and she fell down.

"No. No. Look what you have done?"

He turned and his eyes went wide.

Melany had fallen on the grey glass of the forest.

"Melany, I'm so sorry. I didn't meant for this to happen. Please forgive me." He begged.

The scene changed in front of my eyes. The forest changed and Melany was sitting next to a river cave.

The scene was familiar yet different.

She had a few bones around her and dead fishes too. She walked and sat near the river.

"O great river. I'm very hungry, please provide me some food."

A few moments later, some fishes flew into Melany's lap.

"Thank you, O great river."

She gathered the fishes and roasted then on the fire.

"You are still as stubborn as people before you." A familiar voice said.

The witch. She stood near the grass patch.

"You again? What do you want now?" Melany asked sarcastically.

"I'm trying to save you. Heed my warning. Do not ask for any favours from the river. It is cursing you more as you eat more of its given food."

"I don't feel cursed. I feel happy. I have no burdens now. I'm free. I have no obligations anymore. I can do whatever I want. It's a blessing. I don't get why this forest is called 'the dark forest'."

"There is a reason for everything. Here, wear this forever. Do not take it off. No matter what." The witch handed a ring to Melany and vanished.

"Old hag. Curses and stuff." Melany mumbled.

And suddenly I was thrown back in my body......

Hey readers.

Can you guess who Melany is??

I'm trying to publish the chapters regularly but can't because of my studies.

So sorry for that😁

Please comment your thoughts and vote.

Please please please 🥺