CHAPTER 36

✨ LISSA'S POV ✨

A wheezing sound woke me from my dark dreams. The sun was shining and clouding the sky with red and golden hues.

The wheezing sound again drew my attention. Cameron was coughing in his sleep.

I stood and filled a glass of water.  It was cold, nearly frozen.

'You did it.'

I sighed loudly.

"Why are you still here? Shouldn't you be quite and asleep like you were before?" I mumbled.

'Where will I go? I'm you and I was never quite or asleep or dead or anything. I always helped when you needed me.'

"Ok. Whatever you say."

'You froze the water in your sleep.'

I just nodded and put the glass near Cameron.

I took a look outside of the window. A timbuk sat near the door and chewed some glass.

"Such a fascinating creature they are!" Devina said.

"That they are." I replied.

"Are you ready for the day?"

"Depends."

"On?"

"What is the second trial?"

"I don't know. The forest has not yet announced it."

"You talk of the dark forest as an entity or a person."

"Because she is."

"She?"

"The stories have noted the giver as a woman. Mother, daughter, wife, sister, maid, nymph, virgin and in many other forms. Always a giver, caretaker who forgot her limits and so did the takers of hers."

"Is this the dark forest's tale or of the general population?"

"It is the tale of the curse which started it all. The lesson which should have never been forgotten by people."

"What happened?"

"I don't know the whole story but it is said that greedy humans took too much from the forest. More than necessary and more than she was ready to give. She was robbed and she took revenge."

"That does not sound right."

"Does it matter though?"

I looked out again.

"No, it doesn't."

"Let's start your training. You have around a month before the next trial."

We left the hut and she handed me a bundle.

The bundle contained a simple brown tunic and black pant.

Devina had arranged a table while I changed. A medium sized sword with red pommel, a simple dagger, a cross and several bows were filed in a single line.