Chapter 02: Love Triangles

January 2015

You were right to suspect that Dan the husband had cheated on his wife with the murder victim, Stacy. He confessed it to you and Dean at his office when you went there to question him more. He also confessed to stealing the nanny cam and then some.

"As soon as I erased the kiss I was gonna turn it over to the cops. I swear... Until I saw what was on it. I know that's me, but I swear it wasn't me. I would never hurt Stacy." Dan proclaimed as you watched him kill Stacy on the nanny cam recording from his office computer. He had ripped out her heart just as Sam had learned while you were all still back at the bunker.

Dean warned Dan to "sit tight" and he took the SD card from the nanny cam with you. Intending to show it to Sam when you met up with him later.

"Wow..." You spoke up as you walked back to the car once again. "Was that what I think it was?"

Dean grinned at you, as he pulled the glass door open on the ground floor of the office building. "How 'bout you tell me what you think it was Van Helsing?" He gestured for you to walk ahead of him.

"A shapeshifter?" You turned to face him as he walked through the door himself.

"Yahtzee! There's no way that was a werewolf. The only question is who?... This'll be your second..." But Dean stopped himself before he finished his sentence. Clearing his throat and glancing at you slightly embarrassed as you continued your walk to the car.

He'd clearly remembered the last time you met a shifter. At Bunny LaCroix's estate. The same night he'd handcuffed you to the Impala.

"Do I need to watch for handcuffs this time?" Your tone was sarcastic but you were half serious in your questioning.

Dean grabbed your upper arm and stopped you from walking any further. He then moved around to face you. His features were apologetic. "I thought you forgave me for that?"

You couldn't stay serious for long and your lips turned into a warm smile. "I have, but you still feel guilty..." Your hand raised up to poke him gently in the chest.

He grabbed your pointed hand and sighed. "Yeah... I guess I do... But I won't ever, do it again. I promise. So long as you keep keeping up your end of the bargain."

"Sir." You raised your free hand up to your head and gave him an army salute as you giggled at him.

"I mean it. If things get dicey, on my word, you need to stand down. On this case and any future ones. Got it?" Dean seemed frustrated now.

"Okay... I promise too..." The smile you had on your face left you as his brow furrowed. He was really serious. "Dean... I promise alright. What's gotten into you? You're starting to scare me now..." You tried to get him to release your hand that he held, but he seemed reluctant to do so. "We going or what?"

He shook your hand lightly and then moved it up to place a kiss on your fingertips before releasing it. What the hell was going on? Normally, him doing something like that would've caused butterflies in your stomach but it was so sudden and unlike him that it worried you instead.

"Let's go..." Dean agreed finally.

You walked the rest of the way to the car in silence. As he sat down in the driver's seat he turned to you, now sitting opposite him. "Look sweetheart... I just don't want to see you get hurt, or worse... I'm not looking forward to having to deal with someone big and putting you in even more danger than you need to be in, because we can't let you out of our sight..."

"I'm not... I'm glad I can't be left behind anymore..."

Dean shook his head at you. "You really have a death wish?..."