Chapter 10: We Need To Talk

March 2015

Yours and Dean's friendship still hadn't returned to what it once was. Even with the olive branch you'd extended to him.

It had been close to a month now, twenty six days to be exact, and you still felt awkward around him. An extension of the way he reacted around you, seeming to be treating you like a cracked piece of glass that could break at any time. The only instance this let up, was when Sam was present, and you were able to bounce any conversation off of him.

So as to avoid any uncomfortable silences, you had opted to avoid being alone with him if you could. That meant no more watching movies or TV shows together, not that that even seemed like an option. There was definitely no more visits to each others rooms. If Dean went on a supply run, you stayed at home. If Sam was the one to go, you took the opportunity to leave.

There were no Dean hugs or kisses to the head in greeting. Though this was easily avoided, thanks to the pesky God scenario. Both brothers still refusing to leave you out of their sight. So you were never left home alone at the bunker while they went on a hunt. There had been four cases so far. Two ghosts, a vampire nest and a wendigo.

Hunting, lead to a whole other problem though. The sleeping arrangements. On the first ghost hunt in Oklahoma, Dean slept on a rollaway. During the second ghost chase in Nebraska, he slept on the couch. The room near the vampire nest in Iowa was a triple, so he was comfortable there. And finally the wendigo in Minnesota was another rollaway.

At least you had gained a new friend in Charlie. The only problem was she was far far away in Europe. In her downtime, in between destinations and transfers across the eastward continent, she had somehow managed to set you up more permanently in the US. You now had permanent residency, a social security number and health insurance with no idea how she'd achieved it all.

You were grateful of course, but it was the citizenship to your own country that you desired back the most. And that was an impossible feat, even for Charlie.

She was your sole confidant now. Of course you had Claire and Jody too. But Claire was the wrong age and still had strong feelings against Dean. Which might have been a good thing in theory, but there was still that part of you that cared about him. As for Jody, she acted more like a surrogate mother to the Winchesters in some ways. So telling her anything Dean related felt inappropriate.

This resulted in Charlie hearing everything. Not that there was much to tell with the two of you barely interacting.

Then there was Sam. While he was your friend too, being Dean's brother instantly made him off limits to any discussion regarding your present troubles. You were relieved when you began to realise he hadn't seemed to pick up on any of the awkwardness. At least if he had, he hadn't asked you about it. Although as you learned while sitting at the four seater table of the Texan steakhouse you currently sat around, he had been busy with his own hobby.

"The Zodiac?" Dean asked his brother over the top of his menu.

"Seven victims." Sam replied without skipping a beat.

Dean said "Dahmer?" Sam said "Seventeen" and you rolled your eyes. When were they going to give it a rest?

You were somewhere close to the outskirts of Dallas. Dean choosing to avoid the city as usual by taking the backroads. Your destination, was the Polunsky Unit. A prison somewhere near the Texan town of Livingston, where an inmate had mysteriously disappeared. Sam had been very enthusiastic of the whole thing, insisting you check it out as the news reports had labelled the vanishing act Harry Houdini-esque. It had nothing to do with his new found interest in True Crime...