028| Gone 🥀💔

The ride to the hospital was very awkward. It was quiet. Audrey kept her gaze on the road, before we got to the hospital.

  We arrived at the hospital in roughly thirty minutes.
Audrey got down from the car, and ensured the door was locked, before she led me to the hospital.

While she spoke with the receptionist, I spaced out, getting lost in my thoughts.

"Let's go," Audrey said as she led the way.

On the way there, I looked around me and noticed the tense environment.

Some people were weeping, some where rejoicing, some where even laughing and talking animatedly.

"We're here." Audrey said to me as she looked at the door to Debra's room.
"I'll just wait for you here,"
She said, pointing over at the chairs Infront of the room.

I nodded at her, and stared at the door.

I'd never been a main character in any story.
But finally, I was in mine, but how come I didn't feel half as special, or half as good as I thought I would?
How come I wanted things to go back to the way it was?

I stood staring at the door, longer than intended, because it occurred to me that what I saw there could change my life. It could break me.

"Ed?" Audrey called. "Are you okay?" She asked.

"I'm fine,"

My voice was so smooth that even I was shocked at the fact.

Had lying become so natural for me that it almost sounded like the truth?

I finally pushed the door forward, and my body completely froze at the sight of Debra.

Slowly, I walked in.

Wires and wires and all sorts of wires were connected to Debra. She was awake, but she looked weak.

I could almost feel as frail as her pain. She hadn't noticed me yet, but she was watching television.

Her hair, thankfully, was still on her head. She didn't loose it, so there was still hope.

"Deb?" I called weakly.

Debra looked up immediately, eyes shinning do bright, it almost lightened the room.

"Edwin! Come here!"

Her voice was so joyful, as though she was not dying, as though she was not leaving me.

I rushed to her side and she pulled me into a hug.

Her body, was cold. Her hands, even worse....

I didn't want her to die.

"Oh! I missed you! I thought you weren't coming to see me anymore. I thought you moved on," Debra said to, dramatically.

I smiled, amidst my tears.

"Why are you crying, silly?"
She asked me, flicking my forehead with her finger.

I shook my head.

"Stop crying! I'm here now,"
She said, wiping my tears.

I nodded. Then, I smiled.

"Good, you grumpy old woman and tell me how you've been."
Debra commanded me and I chuckled.

So I began telling her everything that had happened in my life.

The good, the bad and the in-between.

Debra listened with rapt attention, and when I was done, we were stuck in a comfortable silence.