031| Life goes on 🎶📕

Sadly to say, yet truthfully, life goes on, y'know?

I put all my energy into studying my books when we returned to school because, that was the term we had to write Jamb.

I still cried at the thought of Debra and my friends always always supported and comforted me.

When we wrote JAMB, I was nervous. I did know that I did well, it was just that anxiety that comes with waiting.

But when the results came, I couldn't help the tears of joy that came out of my eyes.

I got 260 in my Jamb result.
Oba got 255, Rodney 278( which made me think he bribed them, somehow), and Adeyemi got 240.

The people with the highest results in our friend group was Nneka who got 280 and IK who got 300.

The same IK that's always playing football ball and never reads.

Oba, Esosa and I accused him of using juju ( traditional charm).

Beauty had a bad result.

I know because on the day we collected ours, she broke into a fleet of tears while our jubilation was going on, and she left the room.

I felt bad for her. No one spoke to her anymore, not even Oba who used to be my best friend and I can tell she was beginning to loathe me for that.

"You guys....." I had said that day.

"Yes?" A very cheerful Oba asked.

"Beauty is–" I started but Oba cut me off.

"Abeg abeg abeg," she started her dangerous side coming out.
"When I was trying to talk to her, after all the embarrassment she caused herself and she was claiming rubbish, what did she think?
That I will always be at her beck and call?"
She thundered in rage and anger.

"But –"

Oba cut me off, again.

"Can you believe the only reason she came for Debra's burial was because she wanted to tell Rodney she finally liked him after years of using him as a rebound guy?"

Okay, so that was wrong.

"We're human, Oba. We all for short." I told her calmly.

"Well, she has fallen into a pit, Winnie. Let her bring herself out of there."
Oba said in finality.

"Nneka, will you go after her?" I asked, turning to Nneka who began to laugh like a whale.

"Ogogoro ni. Remember when you came and o asked if you had any allergies, what did you say?"
Nneka asked.

"Wannabes."

"And what did I say next?"

"Same." I told her.

"Exactly. If we are going to have any conversation, I'll first slap her." She said in finality, her tone causing is to laugh.

"Maybe if I slap the stupidity out of her, the sense will come into her thick skull."
Nneka said, and we began laughing.

"Why so harsh, Nne?" I asked her.

"Madam deserves everything I give her. Just because I'm silent, does not mean I do not have words to say to you.

So, she carried rumors around about how my mother did not give birth to me, but rather I was adopted.

It went on for weeks. I and Dozie had to start acting like thugs to her and her minions before the rumors died down."

My mouth formed an 'o' when she was done explaining to me.

"How did this gist not reach me?" I asked.

"You and Rodney that are living inside your books!
Abeg, smarter than thou,"
Oba said in response.

I laughed at her, before I replied.
"No one is talking about you and Adeyemi oh!"
And a new conversation begun from there.

We never spoke to Beauty again.

WAEC rolled around pretty soon, and I was ready, I guess.

I was always reading with Rodney, till my eyes hurt at least.

Things became different at home, too.

Mother came visiting during visiting days and she always had gifts for me and my friends. She asked me about my life, and listened attentively when I tell her.

When waec results came out, I bagged 7as, and 2cs.
Yes, it was Yoruba and maths that were the two cs.

Yes, yes again.

I cried tears of joy.

Who dey breet?

One more chapter to go, then I can finish this book and have peace of mind!

Woohoo 🤸🏼😱.

💃🏼Oya dance with me now!
Drop a comment here if you're dancing!

😗💋 Muah, besties.